Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Where is the taste?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 06:33 AM   #1
gwood
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Where is the taste?

Ok, I just bottled my first batch of beer and while I can honestly say that there were absolutely no off flavors or smells, I can also say that there really wasn't much in the way of anything else in the nose or palate either. It tasted very watered down with very little of the expected hop or malt signatures we all know too well.

I brewed the recipe that was suggested on howtobrew.com (cinci pale). There was one mishap in terms of ingredients in that I had to go with a last minute replacement of the amber extact (DME) with a liquid amber lager extract. I hopped at the called for intervals, cooled in time, and overall carried a full rolling boil for the perscribed duration of time. Pitched at the correct temps for both wort and yeast, let it sit in the primary for one day over two weeks at an even 67 F, racked, primed, and bottled uneventfully.

Where did the taste go?

EDIT: I should also mention that I followed Palmers' direction and did a three gallon boil and topped it off with two into the primary so the water volume was correct from what I can gather from my notes.

Last edited by gwood; 11-05-2007 at 06:36 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Beer generally tastes a little watered down before it's carbonated. Give it a couple weeks in bottles before you judge it.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

In order to gauge if anything went wrong, some gravities, volumes and a recipe would help us along

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
abracadabra

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

You didn't mention how long it's been in the bottle. It needs at least 3 weeks a month is better. Be patient, along with good sanitation it's a very important aspect of brewing good beer.

If you don't have much hops flavor I would suspect old or incorrectly stored hops.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #5
gwood

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracadabra
You didn't mention how long it's been in the bottle. It needs at least 3 weeks a month is better. Be patient, along with good sanitation it's a very important aspect of brewing good beer.

If you don't have much hops flavor I would suspect old or incorrectly stored hops.
I was tasting during bottling. I've been very patient...hadn't tried it until that point (hadn't even taken the airlock off the primary). I'll condition for at least two weeks prior to tasting again. Everything was sanitized to the nth degree (not worried there).

EDIT: Hops were from northern brewer (pellets). My notes state that they had a good strong smell and were stored in a cool dry place until ready to use. That is about all I could tell you with respect to the hops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebisch01
In order to gauge if anything went wrong, some gravities, volumes and a recipe would help us along
4 lb. Pale malt extract syrup, unhopped
2 lb. Amber Lager LME (as per OP, this changed and will most likely darken things up as well as lower gravity a tad)
1 oz. of Nugget @ 30
1 oz. of Cascade @ 60
2 packets of dried ale yeast (mutons - rehydrated)

Didn't bother with the hydro first time out, I know...should have, I will next batch. The volumes as stated were a three gallon boil topped off in the primary with an addtional two to get to five total.

Last edited by gwood; 11-05-2007 at 03:59 PM.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:26 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

flat beer doesn't taste the same as carb'd beer. its surprising what those bubbles do to expose the flavor to the tongue and the aroma to the nose.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 11-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Just bittering and flavor adds, no aroma (5 min.) add? As mentioned, mouthfeel will change once it is carbonated. Without an aroma add or dry hopping, you won't have much of a nose.

You have more of a Bitter than a Pale. If you had used the Nugget at 60 and split the Cascades at 30 & 5, you would have had a very different beer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 11-05-2007 at 05:53 PM.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #8
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwood
4 lb. Pale malt extract syrup, unhopped
2 lb. Amber Lager LME (as per OP, this changed and will most likely darken things up as well as lower gravity a tad)
1 oz. of Nugget @ 30
1 oz. of Cascade @ 60
2 packets of dried ale yeast (mutons - rehydrated)

Didn't bother with the hydro first time out, I know...should have, I will next batch. The volumes as stated were a three gallon boil topped off in the primary with an addtional two to get to five total.
Now did you add the hops 30 miutes into the boil and 60 minutes into the boil or did you add the hops and then let the wort boil for 60 minutes and 30 minutes. How long was your total boil time? Was it a rolling boil or just a simmer, hop utilization and the creation of IBUs from AAUs requires a rolling boil, this is why so many people have boilovers.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 11-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
roofman70
Recipes 

is there any taste to it at all?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #10
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

With nothing but pale and lager extract you certainly won't get a lot of malt flavour. As others have pointed out it would come down to hops timing in the boil at that point. Based on the way you wrote out the recipe I would guess that you added the cascade 60 minutes INTO the boil rather than with 60 minutes LEFT in the boil. But maybe that's just a miscommunication.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Quick Reply