When to bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbwagner

Reaction score
Ok, so my beer has been in primary for 1 week. I have a knee surgery coming up Thursday. I fear that I will have a lack of mobility since I will be on crutches and bedridden for a few days. Unfortunately I'm leaving for school less than a week after that. My question is: Should I go ahead and bottle after 10 days? If not then it might be over a month before I can.

start taking gravity readings. If you get the same 3 days in a row go ahead and bottle.

If it is still dropping and you bottle you might find out your mobility limitations will not allow you to dodge the bottle bombs that start exploding.

personally i'd wait for the month to bottle. Aging helps the yeast clean up after itself.

I bottled mine after 15 days in primary, every couple of days I took a reading and it wasn't moving at all. Been in bottles for a week, no bombs yet. :) I think I'll open one tonight just to see how things are going.

To the O.P., I think this answer also depends on what kind of beer / yeast you're working with, and where your primary is sitting (physically) where you live. I bottled my first batch on Friday after 18 days in the primary because
1. It reached an FG that seemed satisfactory (not optimal, but satisfactory)
2. It had been rocking out in some pretty warm temperatures for a few days
3. I wasn't going to get another chance to bottle for another 2 weeks.

It's totally one of those "your milage may vary" things here, and again, it really depends on the yeast and recipe you're working with.

For a beer with a higher OG, 10 days is going to be way too soon and you'll be happier if you just tuck your batch away in a nice cool spot and forget about it for a while.

Excuse me for sounding like a noob...what do you mean when you say it helps the yeast "clean up" after itself?

The yeast are fastiuous creatures, if you don't rush them off the yeast, they go back and clean up their own waste, the byproducts of fermentation that lead to off flavors. I've been doing the long primary for over three years, I have not YET found a beer, no matter the gravity that doesn't benefit from being left alone for a month.

The most up to date discussion on the subject is here, but we've been discussing it for 3 years or more, we were sort of the pioneers of doing this, long before anyone else accepted it. And we took a lot of flack from the "old guard" for it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/secondary-not-john-palmer-jamil-zainasheff-weigh-176837/

No matter what, 1 week is not enough time....Leave it til you recover enough, then go ahead and bottle.

I have a SNPA clone. Og - ~42. It will be over a month before I can bottle. I also don't think I can wait that long.

I have a SNPA clone. Og - ~42. It will be over a month before I can bottle. I also don't think I can wait that long.

Brew another batch. That will get your mind off this one.:)

wrote this awhlile back,

Revvy said:
I think a lot of new brewers stress this out too much.

I mean, I sort of understand, you want to drink your beers, now.

But honestly, the difference between good beer, and great beer, is simply a few more weeks.

When you brew a lot, and start to build a pipeline, you are used to waiting, because you have batches at different stages, fermenting, secondarying, lagering, bottle conditioning and drinking.

And you can't drink everything at once anyway.

For example right now I have a red and an ipa that I am drinking currently. I have a chocolate mole porter that is sort of coming into it's own, that I am entering in a contest the first week of Feb.

I have a few bottles of my year old Belgian Strong Dark, that is still aging, and I pull one out every now and then.

I Have a vienna lager in a secondary lagering for at least another two weeks, if not more.

I am going to probably bottle my Belgian wit this weekend, or I may give it another week to clear, but more than likely I will bottle sooner rather than later since it's coming up on a month in Primary, and I'm on a wit kick right now (in fact I've been buying wits lately rather than drink my red and ipa.)

I also have a 2.5 gallon barelywine that I partigyle brewed on New Years eve which more than likely will get racked to a secondary for a few months, and then bottle conditioned for a few more.

The second runnings, which is sort of a dark amber ale, I will more than likely bottle soon, I'm not sure. I really haven't looked at it and the barelywine since I brewed it.

And I am thinking about brewing something this weekend, maybe another lager.....

As you cansee I have beers at all stages or fermentation, so if something needs a few extra weeks to carb, or condition, I'm not going to sweat it. I'm about quality beer anyway. If nothings not to my liking/readiness, then I go buy some.

I've only ever made one mild, most of my beers are 1.060 or higher, so they're going to take longer.

I'm not out to win any races, I'm out to make tasty beer.

Hell I once found a bottle in the back of my fridge that had been there 3 months. It was pretty amazing; crystal clear and the cake in the bottom was so tight that you could upend the bottle over the glass and not one drop of yeast fell in the glass.

It won't take long.

I think I'm gonna be able to bottle on the three week anniversary of my brew date. I have a couple of friends who can help me at that point. I'll fill and they will cap and hand me bottles. If I don't bottle then it would be another 2 weeks in primary before I'd be able to bottle. Is three weeks long enough? I understand letting it sit longer is best (until a point) in primary, but how long is to long? No one really seems to be scared of autolysis, at least in the homebrew setting with low preassures.

Back