When to add brown sugar in christmas ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbarnesy

Reaction score
Hi,
My extract receipe calls for 2.2oz of brown sugar but fails to mention at what point to add. All other spices/additions are at 15 and 10 min. But honey is for the full 60. Any suggestions?

2.2oz of brown sugar is not a lot and IMO you can really add it anytime during the boil or flameout. The honey, on the other hand I would either add at flameout or in primary as fermentation slows depending on how much flavor/aroma you are looking for. Boiling it for 60 minutes will essentially boil out any beneficial addition other than the sugar contribution.

If you are looking for good honey aroma/flavor, primary is the way to go. If you want a little less then flameout will provide a nice mellow hint of honey IME

Just needs to dissolve into the wort so 10 min should be fine just like you would add the sugar in a belgian beer.

Yeah I would suggest to not boil the honey as well. The brown sugar can really go in whenever. If you add it early in the boil it may caramelize and add more color which is not a bad thing, but may be if you're looking for a light colored beer. But yeah, 2.2 oz is really not much so toss it in whenever.

Thanks everybody, as for the honey, it calls for 1.1 lbs (five gallon batch). Will adding that much honey at the end affect anything. Seems like a lot to me but this is my first time working with honey.

Just a thought here, but are we sure that this 2.2 oz of brown sugar isn't meant for priming the bottles? It seems like a pretty small and arbitrary number to be added to the main fermentation.

Back