Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Default What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great?

This came to me in another thread, the one about infections and bad batches....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/has-...p-batch-96644/

This is the time of year where we literally have hundreds of nervous new brewers on here. They are worried about everything...Too high temps, Infections, sanitization, being perfect brewers...not making any mistakes.

They are worried that their first creation is like a newborn baby...so weak, and needing their constant attention.

We were all like that ourselves at one time.

I think it would be intersting, and helpful, that our new brew friends see just how hardy our beer really is...how sometimes it seems nothing during the brewing to bottling process turns out right...Except the beer!

And how often that no matter how hard it seems, we try to ruin our beer....it defeats our stupidity and survives.

Sometimes even becoming the best beer we ever made.

And that's why when you start a panic thread...we tell you to relax, that everything will be fine...because we know from our mistakes...and brewing accidents...that it usually is!

So fess up you "big guns" let's show the "noobs" how utter fools we were, how many mistakes we made (and still do) and everything still turns out OK!

Me first

I have stuck my arm in the bottling bucket (unsanitized) to fix the spigot.

Stuck my hand in a hot (158 degree) mash tun, to re-attach the braid. Owie

Racked my beer into an unsantized (but still clean) secondary.

I have dropped a lighter I was using to tilt my bottling bucket (and why I came up with my dip tube) right into the bucket when I was lifting it to the table.

I have had a beer where the autosiphon wouldn't keep, and I had to literally use it like a pump to move the beer.

I have had my auto siphon and my bottling wand get so gummed up with whole hops and pumpkin goop that I couldn't use them. Then ground the spring tip of my bottling wand in the garbage disposal and had to literally bottle directly from the spigot.

Brewed when I had a cold.

And fermented a beer at so high a temp it tasted like bubble gum (the one in the "never dump your beer thread.")

And None of those beers turned out bad at all! In fact some of those ended up being some of my best batches.

Okay my friends...Fess up...Let's show these nervous new brewers just what stern stuff our beer is made of!!!

By the way...hit the prost bar if you find this helpful!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 AM   #2
thataintchicken
The good ideas will survive.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1268 Times on 1260 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I had a batch of tripel that tasted like lighter fluid, seriously.
I waited... and waited.
when it went to bottle.. it was heaven. I almost tossed it.

The initial impulse is to toss.
The smart thing to do is see what happens. It's all about the chaos.
see what happens.

taste it. accept it. Know that you are not in control.

Ginger, how long should I boil these crab legs for? I want them to fall off the bone just like Texas pork ribs. - Ace Club

I'm a meat hunter. - AZ_IPA

Their new commercial sounds lime the crazy fiat music.- Zuljin
People Like This 
Old 01-09-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 17 Posts

I have forgot to let my yeast get to room temp before pitching and have thrown it in at fridge temp. Beer tasted fine.

I have reached in a primary bucket for the rubber seal from the lid. Good beer.

My airconditioning went out once and I fermented a Bock at 80F! Tasty beer.

This one isn't mine. My dad used to brew a beer when I was a kid. This was before Chuck P. It was an old prohibition recipe. It had a half cup of table salt in it and half a potato! We used to drink it in highschool. It wasn't that bad at all.

Bottom line is it's REALLY hard to prevent the yeastie beasties from doing their job.

What's tappening? :D
imadumas2 Likes This 
Old 01-09-2009, 02:44 AM   #4
k1v1116
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

My very first batch (also my first AG batch) I used one of those funnels with a screen at the bottom as my lauter tun... WTF did I know? and it turned out as one of my best beers. Papazians "good life pale ale" was the recipe.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
GNBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

My fermenter bucket has a drum tap on the bottom. I poured the cooled wort into the bucket, pitched the yeast, and then discovered 10 mins later that I had a trickling leak. Unfortunately I didn't have another fermenter empty, so not knowing that the nut was *too* tight, I tried spinning the tap slightly to tighten the seal. Oops. The nut popped off the threads inside and dislocated the whole assembly. So, with one hand holding the tap against the bucket and keeping the beer from pouring all over the floor, I had to put my entire unsanitized arm inside the unfermented wort to reattach the nut.

The beer, an Irish Red, fermented out with no problems and was one of the tastiest beers I've ever brewed.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 AM   #6
BrewInATL
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

Keep them coming guys! This thread was a great idea Revvy! It's reassuring for us newbies. All of you don't realize how much you really help us out.

Thanks and Cheers!
-Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbits View Post
Because I was fortunate enough to have 255 colors in my crayola box as a kid. You poor bastard.
People Like This 
Old 01-09-2009, 02:53 AM   #7
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post

My airconditioning went out once and I fermented a Bock at 80F! Tasty beer.
I did that once with an ale, it was the only undrinkable beer I've ever made.

I've gotten overly polluted on various intoxicants and completely mixed up hop additions. I don't know how many times I added the flavor hops. I followed up my error by not documenting the inebriation so I lost track of which beer in the lineup it happened to. 10 gallon batch.

I've long since kegged and drank the batch so I guess it was more in my mind than in my pot.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #8
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

C'mon...I'm not seeing many of my buddies posting in here...and I know EDwort is online...Besides beating us up with his potent apfelwein he's brewed a beer or two (thousand I'm sure) come one..pony up with the mistakes there fella!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-09-2009, 03:11 AM   #9
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts

You have buddies?

People Like This 
Old 01-09-2009, 03:16 AM   #10
Glubki
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 2 Posts

I got piss drunk on rum and coke while brewing a batch one night and passed out on the couch while my wort was chilling - 9 hours later it was in the fermenter and it still turned out ok...

Quick Reply