What I've learned in one year

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apratsunrthd

Reaction score
I thought a post like this would be helpful for the new brewers on the site. In the past year, I've brewed at least 40 batches, won gold medals (and a silver) at two large BJCP-sanctioned competitions (300+ entries), currently organize a monthly BJCP-sanctioned competition, and prepared for the BJCP exam. To say it's been a whirlwind year is an understatement!

The most important thing I've learned through all this is I STILL HAVE A LOT TO LEARN. Nonetheless, here are several things that would have made my life a lot easier if I'd known them right off the bat:

For all brewers (extract and AG)
- Full boils equal better beer: I don't really have a choice since I've gone AG, but I wish I'd skipped the kettle in the 'starter kit' and popped for a 9+ gallon kettle and propane burner right off the bat. My full boil beers are consistently better than my partial boils.

- Buy a chiller: Immersion, Counterflow, Plate, whatever. Buy one. Ice baths are not only a major pain, they just don't work as quickly. A good cold break will give you clearer beer with better shelf life and these tools also help shorten your brew day!

- Leave the lid off: I see a lot of people recommending leaving the lid on the brewpot to get a more aggressive boil. Two problems: greater chance of boilover and DMS. One of the major benefits of the boil is that the DMS gets boiled off. Beer that tastes like cooked corn is not good.

- Buckets are just fine. I have yet to have an infection from any of my buckets and they make it very easy to top-crop. You are not less of a brewer if you don't have glass carboys or stainless conicals.

- Buy DME instead of LME: Sure, it takes a little longer to stir in but the shelf life is much higher than LME.

- Beersmith: Buy it, use it, love it. I can comfortably create a recipe from scratch (with a little help from Designing Great Beers), I can tweak recipes, I can make every calculation imaginable, I can keep inventory --the list goes on. It's a bargain at any price.

- Yeast starters are a requirement (unless you're using dry yeast and you should still rehydrate): Using the mrmalty.com calculator, I can be absolutely sure I'm pitching the correct amount of healthy, active yeast when I use a starter. If you learn to time it so you can pitch at high krausen, you'll see the fastest, cleanest fermentations you can imagine.

- Star-San: It's the only sanitizer worth using and a bottle of it should last you a very, VERY long time. Sanitizer is the very last thing you should go cheap on.

- PBW is awesome but it's damn expensive. I've gone to Sun Oxygen cleaner and Red Devil TSP90 at a 70/30 mix. It works just as well and costs me a hell of a lot less. I hate to take anything away from Five Star but this is one place you can save a lot of money.

- Fermcap: This stuff should be called 'Magic Boilover Eliminator Liquid.' I use it religiously and I've never had an off-flavor or any other problem from it. Also, it's cheap.

- Take notes: Even if your session went exactly to plan, write down dates and times. Take pre-boil and post-boil gravity readings and write them down. Write down your fermentation temperatures. Hell, write down the music you played. Notes help you troubleshoot, tweak, and improve.

- Enter competitions: I had to be begged to enter a competition but it was the most valuable thing I've done for my beer. BJCP-sanctioned competitions give you at least two score sheets for each beer you enter. Get your scores and re-brew your beer using the feedback given.

AG-focused
- Buy a grain mill: Uncrushed grain stores much longer. Since I have a crusher, I can comfortably buy numerous 25kg sacks of grain in group buys (for around $30 each) and know they'll stay fresh until I need them. Additionally, being able to set your crush makes it much easier to get the efficiency you're targeting dialed in.

- Buy a Thermapen: Yeah, they're expensive but they're accurate. Check the real data on any of the cheaper thermometers and you'll see that even the better ones are only accurate to +/- 3degF. Even if you've done the ice water/boiling water test, there's simply no real assurance that they're accurate anywhere in between. Thermapens are reliable, accurate, and best of all, traceable.

- Acidify your sparge water: This one tip would have saved me from two full batches of astringent beer. Lactic acid is cheap. Use it.

- Don't screw with the mash: Give it a good stir and get rid of all your clumps at dough-in. Past that, every time you take that lid off, all you're doing is losing heat. Amylase doesn't need your encouragement to do its thing.

- Rice hulls are awesome: Since I started using them, I've never had a stuck sparge. 'Nuff said.

Finally, the most important tip: READ EVERYTHING YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON. My brewing library is vast. In addition to HBT, I've learned many techniques and style intricacies from my library.

I hope this has been helpful. What have you learned since you started homebrewing?

The most important thing I have learned in the past year is that none of the above makes much difference if you are not controlling your fermentation temperatures. My beers got MUCH better after implementing fermentation temperature control.

The most important thing I have learned in the past year is that none of the above makes much difference if you are not controlling your fermentation temperatures. My beers got MUCH better after implementing fermentation temperature control.

UGH I knew I missed something! Yep, I actually have two chest freezers with digital temp controls for just this purpose. Of course, you could always just stick it in a room at whatever high temperature, let it ferment out and call it a Belgian! :cross:

UGH I knew I missed something! Yep, I actually have two chest freezers with digital temp controls for just this purpose. Of course, you could always just stick it in a room at whatever high temperature, let it ferment out and call it a Belgian! :cross:

:off: That's just because a few American breweries make some of the most God-awful "Belgian" beers.

New Belgium is hands down the worst brewery I've ever encountered. People LOVE them, too. I had a layover in Denver and went to their airport alehouse. I had their tripel. I can probably count the number of times I've not finished a beer at a bar on one hand, and that's the most memorable. Also Fat Tire is one of the most shameful creations I've ever tasted. I'm not a beer snob, I'd gladly drink a Bud light over that.

If people think a beer with US-05 fermented at 75 degrees tastes Belgianesque, I blame beers from New Belgium and Victory Golden Monkey (sorry Victory, the rest of your beers are great though). Oh, and Harpoon Quad was the worst beer I've ever had, literally tasted like cherry cough syrup.

Sorry to rant.

On OP: Good advice.

Good post! Lots to think about for a noob like me. From the little I've read it seems like you've hit some controversial subjects: full vs partial boil, etc.

So, I went to my in-laws today. Their philosophy is always cheaper = better. As we're trying to eat the most ridiculous dried chicken I brought up the topic of my thermapen, and told them I was embarassed to say how much it cost. I finally did, and my wife of all people chimed in and said it was worth it. I wanted to bone her right then and there. Not once in my life has she ever defended a brewing purchase.

:off: That's just because a few American breweries make some of the most God-awful "Belgian" beers.

New Belgium is hands down the worst brewery I've ever encountered. People LOVE them, too. I had a layover in Denver and went to their airport alehouse. I had their tripel. I can probably count the number of times I've not finished a beer at a bar on one hand, and that's the most memorable. Also Fat Tire is one of the most shameful creations I've ever tasted. I'm not a beer snob, I'd gladly drink a Bud light over that.

If people think a beer with US-05 fermented at 75 degrees tastes Belgianesque, I blame beers from New Belgium and Victory Golden Monkey (sorry Victory, the rest of your beers are great though). Oh, and Harpoon Quad was the worst beer I've ever had, literally tasted like cherry cough syrup.

Sorry to rant.

On OP: Good advice.

JEEZ MAN. Maybe you just hate businesses owned by women! I actually think Fat Tire is a decent 10B. It's no Bell's Amber, but few beers are. I also like Ranger and Mighty Arrow. But none of these are Belgians, so not to your point. I've not had their Tripel so I couldn't say.

Oh, and, uh, thanks!

+a billion to this.

I just had my first bottle of my first temperature controlled beer last night, and after two years of brewing it's the first one that didn't taste homebrewed. Totally worth it even though for me it means crowding an already small apartment kitchen with a chest freezer.

Been holding off on brewing a weizen because of the heat here lately. Have to use a swamp cooler and still worried that I will not keep the temps in the mid 60's. My brew closet usually never goes above 70, but the heat the past few weeks has had it up to 75 and sticky, yuck I don't like belgiums.

As far as the full boil. I cannot agree more. I am not in a position to get a larger brew pot or propane burner, so decided to build a 5 gallon mash tun and do 3 gallon all grain brews. I did this with an Irish Red Ale, and it turned out so much better than anything else I have made. Everyone who have tried my brews have commented on how much nicer it is.

So I only get 60% of what I was getting from my 5 gallon partial mash batches, but would rather have less good beer than a lot of ok beer.

Good post BTW.

Latest posts

Back