Washed yeast - no activity 24 hours later

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RootDownBrewing

Reaction score
I made a 2 liter starter with some washed WLP 001 about 18 hours before I brewed an American Brown Ale yesterday. I have done this several times before and have always experience good results but this time, almost 24 hours after pitching I have absolutely no activity. I pulled the top back on one of my buckets to confirm my fear only to find brown liquid with no foam whatsoever.

The starter I made wasn't foaming or bubbling on the top as others have done in the past and really never did get a sulfur like smell which was concerning but I figured it wasn't a big deal. Now 24 hours later, for the first time since I started brewing 2 years ago, I think I have pitched a worthless 2 liter starter into my batch and I am going to have to remake a starter with a fresh vial and repitch.

How concerned should I be that I pitched a starter with washed yeast that never actually took off, and for those who have had to repitch days later, what kind of results have you experienced?

Any dry yeast on-hand for situations like this? The only few of pitching the wash yeast is causing a infection, if in fact the starter was contaminated. If nothing else the new yeast cells will use the dead yeast as fuel. Often times it takes 24+ for fermentation to begin. So, if you re-pitch relatively soon I'm sure your brew will turn out fine.

My biggest concern is infection at this point and unfortunately I wont be able to get any yeast until tomorrow which will then be about 48 hours after flameout.

Curious, how old was the washed yeast? I understand that the starter didn't bubble at all, but mine don't always either - I can usually tell it's working because the starter changes color (gets much lighter and cloudy) - none of that going on in your starter?

In answer to your question about the yeast, if the starter you pitched wasn't infected then you should be ok to keep it sealed but obviously the sooner you pitch the better - course you may find that when you wake up tomorrow it'll be chugging along just fine.

Back