Warning to people with chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primevci

Reaction score
Lol this is stupid but after it just happened to me when your beer is fermenting it a chest freezer don't stick your head into it to look at the yeast going nuts about halfway down I took a breath not thinking and all of a sudden my throught closed up lol... This is wired because I work in confined spaces work around all sorts of nasty gasses and I almost make myself pass out at home looking at my home brew

passedpawn said:
I had a lot of confined space training too. If you work around tanks it is taken VERY seriously, and for good reason. Glad you didn't fall in.

Me to... My soon to be ex wife probably would have not found me till the morning lol

MalFet said:
Uh, no it's not :cross:

Uh yea your body kinda notices when there is no oxygen... It stops you from breathing in... It's hard to explain I guess maybe closed up was the wrong choice of words...

That is wierd i have to have confined space entry training but wouldnt think about it in my chest freezer haha.

Couple of times I have had three batches fermenting at the same time in a chest freezer...nearly passed out the first time when I reached way down in to clean up some condensation and took a breath.

Not the first time this subject has been in the forums, and I am glad to see people are taking this seriously this time. I read in another post that the guy thought it funny to have his buddy take a whiff of this. That is very dangerous and nothing to play a joke with. Not all people go through C.S. training and very few see the results of not properly monitoring a confined space while it is occupided." Gas IS the silent killer"; we as homebrewers should be aware of this and spread the word rather than joke about it. Not preaching, just the facts. Cheers and keep your head up.

Interestingly enough, CO2 fire suppression in closed spaces has been on the decline because if it goes off while people are in the area your body will reflexively try to exhale (it is CO2 after all) and you can't even hold your breath, you just pass right out. So instead they are using other inert gasses. Never thought of it in terms of brewing in a closed space.

This can also be a problem if you are fermenting in a small room that isn't ventilated. About half of the sugars convert to CO2 and that's enough to put you out.

I have had confined space training and never really thought about my chest freezer/fermentor. Time to put a lock on that thing with little ones running around. It can appear to be a good hiding place. Thanks for the thought.

The first time I REALLY felt the effects of CO2 like that was when I was concerned liquid was backing up just a tiny bit into my gas lines (this is why we use check valves). I stuck my disconnect right up to my nose and gave it a light push on the pin to see if it smelled musty or like beer ... idiot. :eek:

Back