Viability ? Whats this please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
Has been suggested to me to use a yeast calculator which I've downloaded , I understand most of it , temp, type of brew, original gravity etc but asks for viability expressed as a percentage , I really have not a clue what that is , it shows 90% as a start figure if that helps at all. Doing lager kits just at the present and some wine kits , not progressed to mashing yet, but if I can improve kits by having more accurate yeast pitches would be a great step in the wright direction .

There should be an entry point for the date on the yeast package which will then provide an estimated percentage

Mr malty yc an iPhone app suggested on this site, the date on the packet yes remember seeing that ah thanks that makes it understandable then and I suppose if it quotes more than the supplied packet I can purchase more from local home brew shop or at least have some of my own stock in the cupboard if it says more than the amount supplied in the kit

Back