Using a Chest Freezer as a Ferment chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChaosStout

Reaction score
I would like to use a Chest Freezer as a ferment chamber and just had a question. So all I need to do is Plug the Temp Controller into the wall, Plug my Freezer into temp controler, put probe inside freezer and im good to go? I know its a stupid question but I dont want to have to do any electrical work or major mods

Thanks!

UPDATE

Here's my New fermentation freezer. I attached the Temp controller to the side using strong double sided tape.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is How many Carboys can fit inside. Two 6 gallons and a 1 gallon on the floor and a 3 gal and one gal on the hump.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

That is pretty much it, except that I would affix the temp probe to the fermenter, not let it dangle in the air inside the chest freezer. First, this will insulate the probe from temp swings (such as when you open/close it) and more importantly the controller will be controlling the temperature of the fermenter, not the air around it (which will necessitate you having to babysit it and dial the temp up and down to keep the fermenter at a the temp you want).

Hope this helps.

That is pretty much it, except that I would affix the temp probe to the fermenter, not let it dangle in the air inside the chest freezer. First, this will insulate the probe from temp swings (such as when you open/close it) and more importantly the controller will be controlling the temperature of the fermenter, not the air around it (which will necessitate you having to babysit it and dial the temp up and down to keep the fermenter at a the temp you want).

Hope this helps.
Could I mount it on the side of the freezer tword the bottom where the carboys are?

Could I mount it on the side of the freezer tword the bottom where the carboys are?

That would be measuring the ambient air temperature not the temp of your wort. Tape the probe to your frementer and then tape a rag or something over that to insulate it from the ambient air.

That would be measuring the ambient air temperature not the temp of your wort. Tape the probe to your frementer and then tape a rag or something over that to insulate it from the ambient air.

Got it! Thanks everyone for the quick replys. Ive made plenty of wines, but with wine temp is less of an issue. This freezer set up will help alot

No. In this set-up you would be measuring the freezer walls and not the ambient air or the fermenter itself. The freezer walls will frost over, or freeze, well before the air within teh freezer changes, and much sooner than the fermenter temp would change.

For my set-up, and because I lager too, I have a 16 cuft chest freezer on a dual stage Ranco. The freezer is plugged into the cold stage and a I have a small uL listed bathroom rated ceramic heater on the hot side.

I bought an inexpensive thermowell rod that the thermister for teh ranco fits down into set in some thermal compound (optional).

This gets the thermister (aka temp probe) down into the actual wort/beer and measures the actual temp of the wort/beer.

Since it's a freezer and works by freezing the walls to tranfer thermal energy inside I use teh ceramic heater to ensure that the wort temp does not drift below my set-point for lagers. I find the heater unnecessary for ales but, it does guarantee that I hit my desired ferm temps and lock it in.

I did say it "can" be that simple. Not that it always has to be. :D

No. In this set-up you would be measuring the freezer walls and not the ambient air or the fermenter itself. The freezer walls will frost over, or freeze, well before the air within teh freezer changes, and much sooner than the fermenter temp would change.

This is true. I had my probe in contact with my kegs in the keezer for a while and somehow it got knocked lose and was danging in the air. It must have happened a while ago because I had to defrost my keezer to free up two kegs and get rid of about 20 lbs of ice built up on the walls. Not fun.

Newb question, but do you have to drill a hole into the fridge/freezer for the probe to go through? Otherwise if it is sticking out the door want cold air escape?

crj5000 said:
Newb question, but do you have to drill a hole into the fridge/freezer for the probe to go through? Otherwise if it is sticking out the door want cold air escape?

You will have drill a hole in most chest freezers. Just go through hump where the existing thermocouple is located. Also, plumbers putty works great for insulating and sticking the thermo to the fermentor.

Alternatively, you can cut a small slit in gasket and stick the probe through there. I've done that on my minifridge and my keezer.

Alternatively, you can cut a small slit in gasket and stick the probe through there. I've done that on my minifridge and my keezer.

You will have drill a hole in most chest freezers. Just go through hump where the existing thermocouple is located. Also, plumbers putty works great for insulating and sticking the thermo to the fermentor.

I didn't bother to do either of these things on my chest freezer. I just close the lid on top of the wire. For ales, you are talking about cooling about 10-15 degrees below ambient. There isn't alot of heat exchange to worry about with the tiny leaks formed by the wire not letting the gasket make a seal. Maybe it is more of a concern with lager ferments or at dispensing temps.

I didn't bother to do either of these things on my chest freezer. I just close the lid on top of the wire.

+1. I also have the power wires to my computer fan that circulates air in mine set the same way. Saw no need to cut anything.

with a chest freezer... you shouldn't have to worry too much about a leak from the seal. Cold air sinks. That is one advantage to a chest freezer, it does not lose all it's cold air by opening the lid... makes it more efficient. Any cold air that the freezer makes will tend to stay in the freezer.

Just went and got a new 9 cu ft one. I know I know I could have got one off craigs list cheap but I had no way to transport it. My new fermentation chamber will be delivered tomorrow Morning! :rockin:

Just went and got a new 9 cu ft one. I know I know I could have got one off craigs list cheap but I had no way to transport it. My new fermentation chamber will be delivered tomorrow Morning! :rockin:

I don't blame you a bit. After looking on Craigslist for a chest freezer for my Keezer project, I couldn't find one that was worth bringing home. So I just went and bought a new one. Now I'm debating on getting a second one for a fermentation chamber or doing the dorm fridge under the counter cabinet thing (those are neat and cheap). But a small chest freezer with a johnson controler is like zero effort. Anyway, I do know that I'm getting tired of babysitting the swamp cooler I have going in my laundry tub/sink. Especially with winter arriving my basement temps swing wild when the furnace kicks on/off. I'm gonna have to do something soon.

Hello. I just joined the forum and just completed my first brew this past weekend. With the warm temperatures in the midwest, I'm having trouble keeping my 6 gallon carboy in the ideal temp range for my brew.

It sounds like this is an easy solution for a fermentation chamber; if I buy a mini fridge (or small freezer), I can just hook this up to it and get the mini fridge to basically any range of brewing temps I desire? Down the road I may need something different, but for the foreseeable future I need something for the 55ish - 72ish range.

Thanks...

I have my temp probe in a small cup of water, and get far less temperature fluctuation that way. Before I had the probe untaped by the bucket.

Back