Tweeking a Cream ale with dry hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
My extract low ABV cream ale is currently finishing its primary. Considering it's going to be only 4% alcohol I wanted to try to add just a touch of extra flavor.
Hopefully to avoid a very bland watery beer.
Today at my LHBS I picked up 2 ounces of Citra hops.
I was going to add a quarter ounce to my cream now a few days prior to bottlings.
I plan to use the rest of the hops in my next IPAA.

Can anyone give me a reason why they think this may be a bad idea?

According to the 2014 draft BCJP guidelines, some Pre-Prohibition cream ales were dry hopped, so I say go for it. Not that you need to follow the guidelines, but if it worked way back then it's worth a shot.

My only concern would be how you're going to keep the hops fresh till your next batch after you open them.

According to the 2014 draft BCJP guidelines, some Pre-Prohibition cream ales were dry hopped, so I say go for it. Not that you need to follow the guidelines, but if it worked way back then it's worth a shot.

My only concern would be how you're going to keep the hops fresh till your next batch after you open them.

I wanted to make sure I wasn't trying something that was so out of the box that it would ruin the brew.

Think 1/4 oz for 5 gallon is sufficient?

As far as keeping the rest fresh I have vacuum seal bags and will keep it in the freezer.

Personally I'm not sure on the amount, 1/4 oz doesn't seem like much, but you're going for a pretty light and clean style so that could be all you need. Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in, otherwise I'd try to track down similar recipes for guidance.

I doubt a 1/4 oz would do much to 5 gals. But I've never tried dry hopping lightly hopped beer so maybe it would stand out a little more than one might think. I'd still think an ounce would be minimal though.

I doubt a 1/4 oz would do much to 5 gals. But I've never tried dry hopping lightly hopped beer so maybe it would stand out a little more than one might think. I'd still think an ounce would be minimal though.

Ok, I will try 1 oz.
I was trying to add a flavor with out over powering .
I am thinking of just dropping it in the fermenter while it is on the tail end of fermetatiln

You could try a whirlpool addition. Supposedly it adds nearly all the flavor without adding nearly as much of the IBU's.

Ok, I will try 1 oz.
I was trying to add a flavor with out over powering .
I am thinking of just dropping it in the fermenter while it is on the tail end of fermetatiln

I'd wait until fermentation is complete

Woke up this morning was randomly talking I SWMBO about dry hopping (she really doesn't care but that doesn't stop me from talking).
I mentioned that it will be a shame not to have the original brew to compare it to.
That led to an A-Ha moment.
I figure I would bottle 2 - 22 oz bottles of original, which lead me on a search of how much prime sugar for 2 bottles, then that led me to just bottle 1 gallon of the original and make the math easier.
If you give a moose a muffin and add science it becomes a curious journey!

One of my favorite cream ales is called Grand Rabbits by Blackrock Brewings from Marquette, MI. It's a dry hopped cream ale and is really good. Slight hop flavor but mostly great aromas.

I'd say go for a full ounce. It is a light bodied style of beer, but an ounce doesn't sound overpowering to me..but then again I love hops.

One of my favorite cream ales is called Grand Rabbits by Blackrock Brewings from Marquette, MI. It's a dry hopped cream ale and is really good. Slight hop flavor but mostly great aromas.

I'd say go for a full ounce. It is a light bodied style of beer, but an ounce doesn't sound overpowering to me..but then again I love hops.

Sounds good to me. I am going to save the other oz of hops for the next batch of cream ale I make ( have a great recipe from a better LHBS)

So how Long do I drop hop for?

Back