Turbinado sugar syrup???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schnitzengiggle

Reaction score
Okay, I was trying my hand at making Candi Sugar for the first time, and I wanted to use some raw Turbinado sugar in hopes that it would have more of that molasses like flavor. To make a fairly long story short, I boiled it and added a pinch of citric acid, placed the lid on the pot for a few minutes after it began to boil to reach the "hard crack" temp. Well apparently I didn't get to "hard crack" or I had too much water in there. I don't know. At any rate I ended up with about 2 lbs of candi syrup, looks like dark honey, has the same consistency as honey, and kinda tastes like honey with a twist.

What would be a good brew to put this in?

I want to make an APA, but I didn't think it would be suited for an APA.

I want to brew a Stout, but I have a great recipe that I don't know if I want to tweak or experiment with.

So would anyone have any suggestions, that are not Belgians?

I have made a couple of Belgians the last couple brews (a dubbel, and a Belgian pale ale with fruit) so I want to make something different.

Please help me use my new ingredient...:confused:

I think it would be good in a wheat, sort of like a honey weizen but a tubinado weizen. It should ferment pretty clean and dry with leftover notes of molasses and whatever else is in that stuff.

If you keep it cloudy - you could call it "turbo turbid turbinado".

That's my vote anyway.

Here is what I ended up doing:

9 lbs Pale 2 row
1.2 lbs Crystal 40L
.8 lbs Caramel 60L
2 lbs Amber DME
2 lbs Amber Candi Sugar Syrup

1.5 oz Centenial (14%) first hopping
1 oz Cascade (6%) 30 min
1 oz Cascade (6%) 5 Min

1 oz Cascade Dry Hop in secondary

Additives