Too soon to rack into secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bro_namath87

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to transfer my beer into the secondary fermenter. It is an AHS light lager mini-mash recipe (fermenting at room temp, however). I added half of a 1% alcohol boost to it. Fermentation started within hours of pitching. Today is the 7th day of fermentation and the airlock is still spitting out bubbles approximately 1 every ten minutes. Should I go ahead and transfer to the secondary or wait until all the bubbles stop?
Thanks ahead of time!

I do not bother with a secondary anymore for beers less than 60 gravity. I just keep it in the primary for 2 or 3 weeks then keg or bottle. A secondary for a low or moderate alcohol beer that doesn't need a long fermentation and aging time is unnecessary. There are a lot of discussion threads on this subject if you want to see other opinions.

if you plan on racking to secondary as per your preference (which is mine), wait until all indications of fermentation are complete and give it more time than you'd prefer. wait at least one to two weeks after your bubbling stops to secondary. time is your friend (and enemy) here.

BUBBLES?!

BUBBLES?!

We don't need no stinkin bubbles!

Use your hydrometer. When fermentation has come to a halt your FG will be steady for 3 days in a row. On that 3rd day, you can do whatever you want to it. Until then, let it sit. You'll piss off the beer gods if you do anything else.:mug:

Thanks for the help! I went ahead and moved it into the secondary "per the recipe instructions" and it is still putting off CO2 in the secondary. I will keep an eye on it.

Off-gassing in secondary is normal. CO2 dissolved in the solution will off-gas because of the turbulance involved in racking. It doesn't necessarily mean that active fermentation is continuing.

On the other hand, Jamil has suggested in the past that you SHOULD rack to secondary right at high kreusen. The advantage is that there's a larger amount of yeast in the secondary to condition the beer. The disadvantage is, obviously, that there's a larger amount of yeast in the secondary, so it doesn't do as good a job acting as a bright tank. When I do a secondary immediately after high kreusen, I'll sometimes transfer to a tertiary to clarify.

In short, you're fine, either way.

On the other hand, Jamil has suggested in the past that you SHOULD rack to secondary right at high kreusen. The advantage is that there's a larger amount of yeast in the secondary to condition the beer. The disadvantage is, obviously, that there's a larger amount of yeast in the secondary, so it doesn't do as good a job acting as a bright tank. When I do a secondary immediately after high kreusen, I'll sometimes transfer to a tertiary to clarify.

Seems to me like a waste of time.

I've had good results with the technique, but I can't say they're outside the standard deviation of my brews. I only bring it up to underscore the fact that transferring to secondary "too early" really isn't a problem in itself.

Tomorrow i will rack to secondary at what seems high kreusen and is the seventh day.
I may use a tertiary to clarify not sure yet. Definetly not a waste of time giving that im am freeing the yeast to brew with tomorrow :)

Back