Too much Whirlfloc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoonmann

Reaction score
Brewing a porter last Saturday and a friend of mine misunderstood "add one tablet at 15 minutes". Needless to say she dumped the contents of the bag (5 or so). This isn't a "Is it ruined" question, I've learned not to do anything drastic. What type of flavor should I expect in my porter (5gal partial, full boil)?

Thanks to everyone on this site, you have helped me tremendously over the last 7-8 months.

I don't believe it'll add any off flavours at all. They should simply settle to the bottom. Ideally, they'd never even leave the boil kettle.

kombat said:
I don't believe it'll add any off flavours at all. They should simply settle to the bottom. Ideally, they'd never even leave the boil kettle.

I don't know about that. I remember the Brewing Network guys talking about accidentally doing something similar (overdosing by dumping the powder from several crushed tablets in a batch). I can't remember the description but they said they did notice something a little off. Doesn't mean your beer is ruined, but it might not be the best beer you've made. Cold crashing after fermentation might help ensure it precipitates out.

BTW, you only need to use a half tablet in 5 gallon batches.

I don't know about that. I remember the Brewing Network guys talking about accidentally doing something similar (overdosing by dumping the powder from several crushed tablets in a batch). I can't remember the description but they said they did notice something a little off. Doesn't mean your beer is ruined, but it might not be the best beer you've made. Cold crashing after fermentation might help ensure it precipitates out.

BTW, you only need to use a half tablet in 5 gallon batches.

I think it depends where you get it. Not all places are selling the same size tablets.

Thanks guys, will definitely cold crash. I'll take a gravity reading and taste it in a few days.

Is it only for aesthetic purposes? I was led to believe dropping some of the proteins out of suspension during the cold break led to better flavor.

Flavor comes from yeast and ingredients. Whirlfloc is for clearing and creating a more compact yeast cake so you can transfer clear beer to your bottles/keg. It has no affect on flavor from what I understand.

Turned out fine, I just bottled this past weekend. It had an odd trub, I should have taken a picture. Almost jelly-like blobs were floating in suspension. It looked so odd I thought twice about tasting it for a sec or two...I'm not sure if this was due to the extra whirlfloc, or if this is the way s-04 acts.

The beer tasted clean, and it wasn't lacto or any other classic infection. I'll let everyone know how it tastes carbed in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back