Too Much Trub

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMattSmith

Reaction score
I just racked my super IPA to the secondary last night and lost about a gallon to trub. I have never had so much trub before. This was a new recipe and I was a little shocked to see so much. My question is that is this common or what? I began with exactly 5 gal and am now down to 4.

Whew... I was having a minor freak out when I saw that.
Now should have fermented 6 gal to start to compensate for the loss?
And should I have adjusted my dry hop amount to compensate? But when it's a 170 IBU recipe a wee bit more hops wont hurt much.
Thanks

You need to adjust your recipe from the begining to account for that kind of loss in the future.

I started out with a 6.5 gallon batch for my IIPA. I lost about a half gallon to the boil and another half to the trub (I use leaf hops so I can suck out more than people who use pellets). I lost another gallon to the dry hop. I ended up with about 4.5 gallons to the keg but it was so worth it.

Same thing happened to me with my Imperial IPA, I lost almost a gallon. I really saw the trub build up after I dry hopped.

Back