Too much head retention?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danmdevries

Reaction score
I've got an IPA kegged that I just tapped about a week ago. It was force kegged at 30psi for 3 days, turned regulator back down and dispensing at 12-14. It discharges through 1/4" beer line over a 5ft distance to the tap.

This is the first time I've had this issue. I'm new at brewing and kegging but this is my third kegged brew.

My glass is empty and there's about 1" of thick foam at the bottom of the cup with a heavy ring around the top and lacing top to bottom on the glass. Don't have a camera handy or I'd take a picture.

Did I do something wrong on the brewing side? Kegging side? Or just dont worry about it?

When I pour a glass it's impossible to avoid a thick head despite using clean wet tapered glass poured on an angle. The dispense rate from the keg is normal, not forceful and the carbonation "profile" is unremarkable.

Other than this extremely thick (think canned whip cream) head the beer is perfect, my best to date.

Congratulations, you made what most people would consider great beer.

Try turning down your pressure to 5-8 psi range and it'll likely comes out as you would like it.

Haha

And I thought I was doing something wrong. I've never had head retention like this, commercial or homebrew.

Took a pic just now.

2011-11-15202529.jpg

If you're using 1/4" line and getting good pours, that's great but not common. You may find that you get more and more head and form as time goes on. 3/16" line is better for shorter runs.

If you're using 1/4" line and getting good pours, that's great but not common. You may find that you get more and more head and form as time goes on. 3/16" line is better for shorter runs.

I had 3/16" line but couldn't squeeze it onto my barbed pinlock connectors with 1/4" barb despite heat and lube so I shortened the length of the hose when I went to 1/4" hoping to try to counter some of that issue.

Haven't had any real pour issues except for excessive foam on this one.

I don't keg and it seems like you have a good thing going for you. My first few batches had little head retention. I'm on my 10th batch now and it seems like my head retention is getting better. I have no clue how this happened....it just did.

My pain is self-chosen At least, so The Prophet says. I could either burn Or cut off my pride and buy some time. A head full of lies is the weight, tied to my waist.
The River of Deceit pulls down, oh oh. The only direction we flow is down Down, oh down Down, oh down Down, oh down

Nice signature...Mad Season :mug:

The pic shows about one finger head. Was it more than that? I love keeping a head around that thickness down to near bottom. Check out my gallery for some great head! :D

Go ahead & take a look...you know you want to. I love good head in the afternoon,lacing is a bonus. That pic looks fine to me.:mug:

Back