Third brew....airlock action in 2 hours!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainL

Reaction score
Ok. Third brew. First partial mash. I need to search on here what the right temp is but here is what I did that I am questioning.....

1. partial mash 30 minutes: heated 1.25 gallons to 164 degrees. Added 1.75 lbs mixed grain and it brought the temp down to 160 almost imediately. At 15 minutes the temp was 150 so I added some heat and held the grain bag off the bottom. heated to 160 and then turned off.

2. Rinsed (sparged???) with 1 gallon of 170 degree water.

3. turkey fryer: started with 4.75 gallon boil. How many brews does one propane tank last you guys??? It seamed like it used a lot.

everything went well....

4. Yeast: Us -05. Do I hydrate or just sprinkle it on. Damn I'll just do both.
I boiled some water cooled 1 cup down to 80 degrees and added half the yeast while I cooled the wort (40 minutes to cool with salted ice bath). Cooled the wort to 75 degrees, dumped it between kettle and fermentor to aireate a few times. then added the rehydrated yeast AND the other half sprinkled ontop of the foam.

2 hours later I have airlock action.

5. I'm a little high on the OG @ 1.059 vs the 1.053 the recipe calls for. Could this variation be due to the mash process??

I was thought about adding a little more water but I figured the last bit of cool water I added may not have mixed all the way. And I was driving my wife nuts!!

A little worried about a blow off with such a rapid fermentation but I'm ready to improvise a blow off tube in the event I hear a pop in the middle of the night.:eek:

oh yeah. American pale ale. Cant wait!

1. partial mash 30 minutes: heated 1.25 gallons to 164 degrees. Added 1.75 lbs mixed grain and it brought the temp down to 160 almost imediately. At 15 minutes the temp was 150 so I added some heat and held the grain bag off the bottom. heated to 160 and then turned off. --- ok

2. Rinsed (sparged???) with 1 gallon of 170 degree water. --- sparged

3. turkey fryer: started with 4.75 gallon boil. How many brews does one propane tank last you guys??? It seamed like it used a lot. ----- 5-6 10 gallon boils

everything went well....

4. Yeast: Us -05. Do I hydrate or just sprinkle it on. Damn I'll just do both.
I boiled some water cooled 1 cup down to 80 degrees and added half the yeast while I cooled the wort (40 minutes to cool with salted ice bath). Cooled the wort to 75 degrees, dumped it between kettle and fermentor to aireate a few times. then added the rehydrated yeast AND the other half sprinkled ontop of the foam.

2 hours later I have airlock action. -- nice... have had that with us05 too

5. I'm a little high on the OG @ 1.059 vs the 1.053 the recipe calls for. Could this variation be due to the mash process?? --- yep. it means your process is good

I was thought about adding a little more water but I figured the last bit of cool water I added may not have mixed all the way. And I was driving my wife nuts!! ---- NO

A little worried about a blow off with such a rapid fermentation but I'm ready to improvise a blow off tube in the event I hear a pop in the middle of the night. --- might, but if you need 1, just put the fermenter in a tote

oh yeah. American pale ale. Cant wait!

Back