Is thier anything wrong with how I mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
So I use my brew pot to mash in and then use 2 5 gallon buckets, one with holes drilled in the bottom to lauter and sparge. I seem to get good eficiancy from this method.Is thier any reason to spend the money and gofor the cooler method?

The only reason I'd opt for a cooler over your current setup is it will keep temps more consistant. BUT...what you've got now has been done before and works.

sounds kinda similar to what I do, I use a cooler (unconverted) to mash in. Then I transfer the mash to a 5 gallon bucket w/ a plastic spigot and a nylon paint straining bag to lauter and sparge. Works fine for me.

The only reason for the cooler is to hold the mash temp steady. I've been able to hold the mash for a full 90 minutes without losing even 1 degree F. So, unless you have trouble holding the mash temp, I don't see any problem. If you do have problems with your mash temps, a cooler costs about 15-20 bucks, so it may be worth it.

That's the older Zap a Pap or whatever it's called method from Nothing wrong with it, it made many a fine beer for years before the cooler method. The only was issue with it was probably heat retention. But if it works for you, enjoy the process.

Back