Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Thick brown foam after 11 days.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
trainfever
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Thick brown foam after 11 days.

So my first batch has been fermenting for 11 days as of today. The OG was 1.050, the directions said it should have been between 1.050 and 1.055, so my OG as good. The directions said the FG should be between 1.008 and 1.012. When I tested it today, it was 1.014, so I have a little longer to go. I planned on bottling this coming weekend. My concern right now is that there is still a thick brown foam on top of the wort. Is this normal? I thought that the foam would fall into the wort after a few days or a week? Should the foam still be there when I bottle?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2007, 10:54 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Most of the time the krausen falls, but not always. Anything with much wheat in it, the krausen is like Styrofoam.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #3
Orpheus

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

What type of beer is it?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:21 PM   #4
trainfever
Recipes 

Its a Belgian White. If the foam is still there this weekend but the GF is where it should be, Do I just syphon out the beer and leave the foam behind?

Old 10-15-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

you want to test gravity for 3 days. if the FG stays consistent for 3 days, and its close to the estimated final gravity, then yes it is 'done'.

rack/siphon it to secondary, keg, or bottling bucket (since belgian wits are allowed to be cloudy IIRC)

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 10-16-2007, 03:53 AM   #6
jonbeck14
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
you want to test gravity for 3 days. if the FG stays consistent for 3 days, and its close to the estimated final gravity, then yes it is 'done'.

rack/siphon it to secondary, keg, or bottling bucket (since belgian wits are allowed to be cloudy IIRC)
I'm curious, how much volume are you taking out when you test the "G"? The hygrometer that I have (i float it in the thermometer's tube) is probably about 100 mL? I'm just worried about losing too much beer! Am I too worried, is the loss (due to sampling) nothing to worry about, and just part of the game?

Old 10-16-2007, 09:43 AM   #7
Danek
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbeck14
Is the loss (due to sampling) nothing to worry about, and just part of the game?
I think that's the way to look at it. You shouldn't lose much more than a bottle's worth of beer from the whole batch, which is the price you pay for ensuring that you rack / bottle the beer at the right time. The alternative is having one extra bottle of less good beer. And of course you'd miss out on the educational experience of drinking the contents of your hydrometer flask to see how the beer's coming along.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
g_rath
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danek
And of course you'd miss out on the educational experience of drinking the contents of your hydrometer flask to see how the beer's coming along.
That has helped me a lot. I get to know what the different stages taste like and how I think it’s going to come out in the end.

Planed: more cider.
Primary: empty
Secondary:Dry hopped amber ale, Does Equis clone.
Keged:Pumpkin spice, wizen.
Bottled: Hard cider, Oaked bourbon vanilla cider, Vanilla Porter.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 9

if you ferment in a bucket, just sanitize the hydrometer and drop it in.
on batches where the krausen lingers, you can just poke thru it with they hydro, or use a thief to steal a sample...but either way you've poked a hole thru it which shouldn't have any impact on the final produce as long as everything is sanitized.

and yeah, expect to lose some beer, at racking, etc. now that I all grain brew, I go for 5.5 gallon batches to ensure a full 5 gallons for my kegs, or 2 full cases of bottles.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Quick Reply