Ten days in to first brew...pleasantly surprised

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numpty

Reaction score
Well, I've had my Caribou Slobber in the fermenter for ten days and was concerned about fermenting at too high a temp as the optimal yeast temp only went up to 70 degrees and I was at about 78 per my original post. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f29/new-guy-first-brew-question-391296/ I decided to take a gravity reading to see where I am. I bought the Mad Brewer kit from NB so I could take these readings. It's pretty hard to get an accurate reading, but after several attempts and my temp conversions I think I'm about 1.021'ish. I'm planning on leaving it for another 2.5 weeks in the primary as it seems this can only help. I'm hoping the SG will come down a bit more as well, although it doesn't seem to be doing anything right now.

Anyway, the real point of this post is that my concerns turned to outright joy as i tasted my sample...it tasted pretty good already. Of course this is my first brew so I have no idea what it's really supposed to taste like, but I was suspecting rubbing alcohol or bananas because of the hot fermentation; it actually tasted like a brown ale. (maybe just a touch sweet, but I typically like IPA's so it may be normal) Now I just have to be patient I guess and avoid the desire to keep taking readings and sampling it. I'm stoked that fears were unfounded and that I may have a drinkable brew. It may be a little sweet and low on alcohol content, but overall I'm very happy. After it's been in the primary for a month, I plan on bottling it for another 2 weeks and then putting them in the fridge for a couple of days...just in time for my 40th. :D

Well, I've had my Caribou Slobber in the fermenter for ten days and was concerned about fermenting at too high a temp as the optimal yeast temp only went up to 70 degrees and I was at about 78 per my original post. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f29/new-guy-first-brew-question-391296/ I decided to take a gravity reading to see where I am. I bought the Mad Brewer kit from NB so I could take these readings. It's pretty hard to get an accurate reading, but after several attempts and my temp conversions I think I'm about 1.021'ish. I'm planning on leaving it for another 2.5 weeks in the primary as it seems this can only help. I'm hoping the SG will come down a bit more as well, although it doesn't seem to be doing anything right now.

Anyway, the real point of this post is that my concerns turned to outright joy as i tasted my sample...it tasted pretty good already. Of course this is my first brew so I have no idea what it's really supposed to taste like, but I was suspecting rubbing alcohol or bananas because of the hot fermentation; it actually tasted like a brown ale. (maybe just a touch sweet, but I typically like IPA's so it may be normal) Now I just have to be patient I guess and avoid the desire to keep taking readings and sampling it. I'm stoked that fears were unfounded and that I may have a drinkable brew. It may be a little sweet and low on alcohol content, but overall I'm very happy. After it's been in the primary for a month, I plan on bottling it for another 2 weeks and then putting them in the fridge for a couple of days...just in time for my 40th. :D

1.020 would make it kind of sweet

& good for you! you definitely have much more patience than I have, waiting a month in primary.

when's your birthday? my 50th is coming up on the 15th

It usually takes more than 2 weeks bottle time to carb & condition. But I have had some batches go quicker. And def leave it in primary for another 2 weeks or so to see if it comes down closer to listed FG range.

Thanks guys.

Grognerd, my birthday is April 6th, I'm expecting the black balloons and all. Man, I remember my parents turning 40 and thinking how that was super old. It's crazy how our perception changes with age. BTW, I used to live in Norfolk and have a lot of buddies in NOVA. I miss it there, but it's not that bad here either. :cool:

Thanks unionrdr. I guess I'll have to be a little more patient then on the bottle time. I'll just open one up on my birthday anyway and if it's not right I'll leave the rest alone. What exactly am I looking for when the carbonation and conditioning is complete? Just clarity and sufficient carbonation?

Now I've got to figure out what to brew next to get in the pipeline. I'm definitely having a hard time with the patience thing and I don't want to have to wait another month or two next time.

That's great man, my CS has been in primary for 12 days. Basically the same plan you have for yours - 4 weeks primary, then bottle. Looking forward to tasting the wort pre-bottling. IIRC the wort on brew day was sweet and bitter/hoppy at the same time. Did basically a 3/4 volume boil (about 4.75 gal, which dropped to around 4 before top-off). A tad concerned about over utilization of hops, but meh, hops are good. :) Post back how it went. Mine's been consistently fermented @67 or so - still with some slow airlock activity.

Thanks guys.

Grognerd, my birthday is April 6th, I'm expecting the black balloons and all. Man, I remember my parents turning 40 and thinking how that was super old. It's crazy how our perception changes with age. BTW, I used to live in Norfolk and have a lot of buddies in NOVA. I miss it there, but it's not that bad here either. :cool:

Thanks unionrdr. I guess I'll have to be a little more patient then on the bottle time. I'll just open one up on my birthday anyway and if it's not right I'll leave the rest alone. What exactly am I looking for when the carbonation and conditioning is complete? Just clarity and sufficient carbonation?

Now I've got to figure out what to brew next to get in the pipeline. I'm definitely having a hard time with the patience thing and I don't want to have to wait another month or two next time.

Well,with hopefully a week in the fridge after a few weeks carb & condition time,they should be settled out clear,get good head easily,& have good carbonation. 2 weeks fridge time for thicker head,& longer lasting,fine bubbled carbonation.

Got it. So I'm looking at 2.5 weeks left in primary, another 3 weeks in the bottle and then another 2 weeks in the fridge. Crap! Now I understand the pipeline. :mad: Looks like I'll be purchasing some beers for my birthday.

Still fermenting after 12 days Malty Dog? Does it matter if my fermentation basically looked complete after 2 days? Will the yeast still be active for the bottle conditioning? I know mine went warm and could cause a fast initial fermentation. I think I'm going to have to get a chest freezer and temp controller, but if it takes me 2 months or so to go from boil to glass...I'm going to have to get a LARGE fermenting chamber. ;)

I happen to think you can shorten your timeline. You mention 10 days so far in the fermenter. Good for you being that patient. Take a hydrometer sample and take another in a couple days. If they match, bottle it. It might clean up more being in the fermenter longer but it might not. Keep the bottles warm, like low 70's for a week. Chill one (just one, mind you) for 24 hours and then sample it. Now you know what your beer tastes like before it is completely mature. Give the rest another week and chill one again. Notice any difference? One more week and repeat, then if you like the taste, chill however many you want. Be aware that any you don't chill will continue to mature and may taste better for it but who can be that patient?

Got it. So I'm looking at 2.5 weeks left in primary, another 3 weeks in the bottle and then another 2 weeks in the fridge. Crap! Now I understand the pipeline. :mad: Looks like I'll be purchasing some beers for my birthday.

Still fermenting after 12 days Malty Dog? Does it matter if my fermentation basically looked complete after 2 days? Will the yeast still be active for the bottle conditioning? I know mine went warm and could cause a fast initial fermentation. I think I'm going to have to get a chest freezer and temp controller, but if it takes me 2 months or so to go from boil to glass...I'm going to have to get a LARGE fermenting chamber. ;)

You need to see the yeasts complete life cycle. No it doesn't matter that the yeast looked dead after 2 days, yes the yeast will still carbonate your beer.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

Still fermenting after 12 days Malty Dog? Does it matter if my fermentation basically looked complete after 2 days? Will the yeast still be active for the bottle conditioning?

Yeah I'm sure you're fine ;) . I pitched a 1L starter and kept temps lower, as you know. After reading up on it, even if you did a long primary and cold crashing (dropping particulate/yeast out of solution as much as possible) your beer would still have plenty of yeast to carbonate apparently. Again looking forward to hearing how this turns out for you.:mug:

Thanks guys! This forum really is a great resource, and I can't say enough about you veterans hanging out on the beginner's forum offering advice to us newbs.

I'll update everyone on my progress and how things turn out. Now, who has the secret information on how to do all of this without the wait? Sheesh!

Cheers all! :mug:

Until you get your fermentation chamber get yourself a plastic rope handle tub or a storage container. Set your fermenter in it and fill with water. I have several 1 liter and 20oz soda bottles that I freeze and rotate out about 3 times a day. (before work, after work and before bed time) Works great.

Time really is a cure for things. Every beer I have made so far tasted better at 3 weeks bottle than 2 weeks. They all still have a slight off flavor that soon. I just had the smooth nut brown ale last night that was in the bottle 3 weeks total and fridge for 3 days. Was MUCH smoother than a bottle I tried 7 days ago after being in the fridge 1 day.

Everything you have read on here is correct. 3 weeks in bottles really is best!

Bottled!

Holy s, that's a lot of work. I only got 46 bottles from this one, and a half one. I drank the half one...and I liked it. The SWO..something or other...helped me. She's awesome...and she liked it too. Man, I can't wait for the next brew.

So two days in the bottle and then I can crack one open? :)

My kitchen smells like beer.

awesome!

just think, if it tastes good warm and flat, imagine how it's gonna taste when it's carbed and chilled!

make sure that's two days in the fridge, then go ahead, crack one open. but remember... that's just one less of your beers at its tastiest

next thing to learn: spillage control & abatement

not all black balloons, but two of them say, "over the hill"

thanks to the BigHair for the party!

DSCN0320.jpg

numpty said:
Thanks guys! This forum really is a great resource, and I can't say enough about you veterans hanging out on the beginner's forum offering advice to us newbs.

I'll update everyone on my progress and how things turn out. Now, who has the secret information on how to do all of this without the wait? Sheesh!

Cheers all! :mug:

I'll give a few +1s to that. I have my first batch bottled and could not imagine getting it done without the help and advice of the great people on this forum.

As for the waiting part, I did a pumpkin ale and thought I was being patient when I posted that I bottled and would wait 3 weeks for it to carb up when the very helpful poster of the recipe told me that it may take 4 to carb as it is a bigger beer but then continued to say experience has shown him that his beer really does not hit its stride until it has matured for 8 weeks! It is hard to wait but I don't see the point is drinking half my beer before it tastes its best (especially since I do half batches)

Cheers!

Hey numpty glad you got through the bottling and you liked your warm, flat, green beer :D That's a good sign. I liked mine that way too. Popped the top on my first Caribou Slobber last night after 1 week in the bottle and 1 day in fridge: really tasty brown ale, caramel maltiness, pretty balanced hops, some fruity ester from the Wyeast 1332 -I easily downed it, and wanted another (but didn't). After 1 week (using the full 5 oz corn sugar) it had low carb but it was there. My suspicions based on researching others' experience with this one: it will carb more over the next couple weeks and it will continue to improve in flavor. Keep the thread updated with your findings. Also good job by the SWMBO!

I am in my 8th day Caribou Slobber as well.
Wow - the active fermentation of this kit is incredible. Early and fast.
Mine went like this...
Put in primary fermenter at noon.
By 2pm the lock was bubbling every few seconds.
By 4pm the beer looked like it was being stirred with a spoon and was bubbling wildly.
At 11pm I put on the blowout tube.
All the next day it was VERY active, and finally settled down the following morning.
So I had highly active fermentation for right at 43 hours.
7 days later the airlock has been inactive for 2 days.
So I put it in the primary yesterday, which was only 7 days later.
The beer looked and smelled exactly as it should, taste was sweet.

I would have been worried about the early feverish fermentation, and the early inactivity - but everything I have read about this kit by brewers they had similar experience.

The important thing to remember here is that when the rapid bubbling slows down or stops,it is NOT done fermenting. Only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly,uneventfully creep down to FG from there. Then 3-7 more days to clean up by products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty.
Racking to secondary too early can cause the yeast to stasll,or not have enough yeast yeast do the clean up work. The chemicals that make off flavors are normally produced during fermentation. But high ferment temps,underpitching,poor yeast health & the like can produce more of these chemicals. The result is off flavors.

Thanks Grognerd. Black balloons, here I come. And the spillage control and abatement is definitely something that I have to think more about before my next bottling...uhm...event! I also used a stronger concentration of PBW to peel a bunch of SN labels from the bottles and even though it did a wonderful job, my hands felt like I had just done an extreme exfoliation treatment. (I've never done that...honest!) I didn't have any gloves so I used my 6 yr old daughter's pink, "domestic goddess" dish gloves. In doing this, two things were certain. One, it wasn't going to keep the pbw out, and two, my SWMBO was going to get a picture of me using them. :eek: Anyway, it all worked out with a bit of cleaning, and now this weekend I'll get to try a bottle of my first homebrew...carbed (maybe) and chilled. I didn't use the whole 5 oz. of priming sugar, but only the 2/3 cup. Oh well, if it was good warm and flat, it can't be any worse. :D

Maltydog, I didn't notice all of those fancy words in the flavor of mine...probably because I was more relieved that it wasn't spoiled or something (and it was 3am) than I was trying to pick out the subtleties of the beer. I'll try and pay more attention this weekend when I try a bottle. I'll also pass along the kudos to my SWMBO...it can only help to solidify her approval (or tolerance :)) of my new homebrewing hobby, right?

iamwhatiseem, I am a worrier by nature so I was beside myself for a day or two thinking that I had seriously ruined my first batch. I read a bunch of stuff talking about rubbing alcohol, and bubble gum, etc. I have learned that the whole RDWHAHB addage is correct. Even if I did make rubbing alcohol, it won't help worrying about it and I can always try again. It's more effort, but when I cook, sometimes it's great and sometimes...meh. Glad to hear that yours seems just what it should be. I took to heart what uniondr says about leaving it in the primary longer...in fact, I didn't even rack to secondary...just let it sit for 5 weeks in the primary. It may not be the clearest, but I'll try and improve next time. Keep us updated on how everything turns out for you.

Maltydog, I didn't notice all of those fancy words in the flavor of mine...probably because I was more relieved that it wasn't spoiled or something (and it was 3am) than I was trying to pick out the subtleties of the beer.
Yep, sometimes just saying "this is damn good beer" is all that needs to be said! :D

Hey I don't know what your process was with the PBW and the labels, but daggone I did the same thing with OxyClean Free and a bunch of collected bottles. I soaked them for several hours in hot water and the labels were all mostly just floating by that time. From there I just fished them out, scrubbed the inside and outside with a bottle brush briefly, then gave a good warm water rinse (inside especially). Didn't seem to take a toll on my bare hands at all. A long soak was the key.

I don't know about "damn good" yet, but it's not rubbing alcohol. :D

I do want to make good beer though, as I've had a couple of friends (in other states, so not financially feasible to bring them in to help) who have made beer good enough that it is requested by other friends. I want to get there, but for now I'm happy having something that is enjoyable to drink. Pretty soon I'll be exporting my award winning home brew I'm sure. :smack: Until then....

I had warm rinsed my Sierra Nevada bottles over the last several months anticipating the pbw soak. It only took about 20 minutes and the labels (notoriously stubborn from what i've read) were floating...or nearly there. The remaining glue (if any) came off with a simple wipe with a sponge. I rinsed and put them in the dishwasher rack and re-rinsed after about an hour. Then dried and bottled the next day. I used about 5 tablespoons of pbw to about 6 gallons of water in a rope bucket, so I think it was quite a bit more concentrated than what I've read here to use...although more diluted than the instructions said. Regardless, if I don't need to remove labels, I'll use about half as much pbw as I did to remove labels. It was all inside my daughter's pink "domestic goddess" gloves along with my hands for a good hour or so, so inevitably I got de-skinned. It's all good though...I still have the use of them. :D

Honestly though, I hope I can say my beer is "damn good" in the next couple of weeks. That would be great! If not, then I'll try to make the next one "damn good". Until I'm getting requests, I'll just have to suffer through the drinking of my "almost damn good" beer...so no worries, right? :mug:

When I posted a "how can I tell if its carbing" thread after my first bottling adventure, someone replied with some great advice. Crack one open and see for yourself. So at the end of week one, two, and three, I opened one up and drank. Not only did it give me the "proof" I needed to feel confident, I also got to see how the flavor develops. It was an Amber that I was worried tasted a bit too sweet more and hoppy than anticipated at first. However, with each sample bottle the sweetness subsided as carbonation got better, and the hopiness mellowed to what I expected. My first brew shaped up very nicely.

When I posted a "how can I tell if its carbing" thread after my first bottling adventure, someone replied with some great advice. Crack one open and see for yourself. So at the end of week one, two, and three, I opened one up and drank. Not only did it give me the "proof" I needed to feel confident, I also got to see how the flavor develops. It was an Amber that I was worried tasted a bit too sweet more and hoppy than anticipated at first. However, with each sample bottle the sweetness subsided as carbonation got better, and the hopiness mellowed to what I expected. My first brew shaped up very nicely.

several reasons why I don't advise waiting X weeks for carbing when it's your first couple batches.

• you're anxious to try it & that's understandable, so go ahead
  • you do get to see how the flavor develops over several weeks
  • once you get a pipeline going, you won't be so anxious to rush to taste a batch. until then, go ahead

And get a digital scale for measuring dry stuff. I got one at Walmart for $20 that goes up to 10lbs. It measures kilograms,pounds,ounces & grams. Measure 1.5oz of PBW per gallon of water. That dilution will be great for most cleaning purposes,delabeling included. You're def using too much PBW if it strips the hide of your hands!

Next Saturday I plan to bottle, last night I stripped a couple vanilla beans and have the contents soaking in Tequila (don't have any Vodka) - I am thinking a hint of vanilla would be good with a brown ale.
I am also thinking that as a newb (2nd batch in my life) the desire to tinker is why I want to add the beans.
So what say you?
Vanilla in a brown ale?

Well, I had a bottle bomb. With three little rugrats, I had to leave bottles for about 12 hours before I could attend to the mess and potentially more bombs. I only added 2/3 cup of priming sugar per the instructions instead of the whole bag, but maybe that was too much sugar left for the yeast from an incomplete fermentation? (I forgot to take a FG before bottling) Anyway, when I finally got to it, there was only one that blew so I'm wondering if I damaged the bottle as I dropped one while cleaning them in that super slick pbw wash. So I called my buddy and he said put one in the freezer for 30 minutes and test it. If it's carbonated then throw the rest in the fridge to avoid any more bombs. He then said, "I expect a call in 30 minutes." My impatient prayers have been answered! :D

30 minutes later I cracked it open. A little hiss and a layer of "fog" in the bottle appeared. Poured a perfect 1/2" of head and it tasted awesome! Woohoo! I am so stoked, my first home brew is a success. My SWBMO and a couple of my family and friends tried it and really liked it too. I've enjoyed Newcastle brown before, but this blows it away in my opinion. Maybe I'm biased, but am I ever happy.

Now I just have to quit "sampling" them. I've got to get a pipeline going for sure!:mug:

In regards to the bottle bomb, be sure to let your bottles soak or ensure proper contact time, most sanitizers require at least 30 seconds of contact. I had a couple gushers from only dunking my bottles then immediately draining. Since I've been letting em soak for a few minutes I've had zero problems.

Thanks guys for all of the help. I'm glad I was successful my first time around. I definitely want to improve on the process, the product etc, and I fully expect to have some failures and setbacks; but I'm just glad the first time ended up encouraging me instead of discouraging me. It's a lot of work to end up with something that you don't like. Here's a pic of my first batch. I'm sure I can improve the clarity with more time in the bottle, a secondary or not boiling the extract the entire time. I'm sure I can improve the flavor by controlling my fermentation temp better. I look forward to these things, but for now...I made real beer and it tastes good...and that's cool!

Cheers!

BTW, I chilled the glass, so it's a "bit" clearer than the photo appears and the glass was clean. It looks nasty in the pic, but I did clean it. :eek:

first glass.JPG

And another Noob joins the ranks of the obsessively addicted homebrewers.
Congratulations on your first brew. :mug:

Alrighty numpty...I am a couple days behind you.
I put one in the refrigerator 4 hours ago and just now opened it:

After an aggressive pour I was greeted with a 3/4 finger head, that lasted 7-8 seconds before settling down to about a 1/4 inch.
There are a number of bubbles rising from the bottom racing to the top....fantastic!...it is carbonating...whoohoo!
The taste is pleasant ,but immature. If I just bought this at the store, and saying it was carbonated more - I would rate the beer about a 6.5...which I think is great considering how young it is.

Success!! - I can't wait till another week or so till fully carbonated and conditioned.

Success!! - I can't wait till another week or so till fully carbonated and conditioned.

Awesome! And yep, I'm addicted to this now. I only have about 8 left that I'm saving for a couple of friends to try. They just kept getting better...maybe only in my mind, but good nonetheless.

I went and bought some Torpedo 'cause I didn't want to finish mine...and it's the first time I was bummed buying beer. I just want more homebrew. Time to convince the wifey that I need another afternoon to brew again. I think I'm going to try a 10 gallon batch. Do I just use two extract ingredient kits? Double everything? Priming sugar too?

A ten gallon batch should last a bit longer considering I just want to share it with everyone. :mug: I thought about doing the Caribou Slobber again just to see if I can do a better job. I've also thought about trying an IPA since that's generally what I'll choose. Any suggestions? All grain is coming, but for now I want to feel comfortable with the extract process before adding more steps.

Thanks again everyone for your input on this great forum.

Back