Temp and OG reading

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DogFlynnHead

Reaction score
If I measured my OG reading at 72 degrees how much should I add to my reading using a hydrometer that is calibrated accurately at 60 degrees?

Also, I poured a gallon of top off water into the fermenter before pitching yeast, but didn't shake it up. Dipped my beer thief in to get my sample and it was .020 lower than expected. Fermentation has been going nuts for the past 24hrs. Trying to get a strong brown ale between 8-9%abv. Is this possible with a OG of 1.052? Possible diluted though.

If your reading at 72 degrees was 1.052, the reading at 60 would have been about 1.053.

And yes, if you added a gallon of water before pitching and didn't stir or shake it up, your reading is going to be low. You may still get what you are looking for.

I betcha its 7+ easy. The important part is you have good fermentation going. Keep hitting your marks and this will be a nice brew!

The airlock is still bubbling about once a second over 24 hours after pitching yeats. I'm suppose to add maple syrup a couple days after brew day. If it's still bubbling should i wait for it to die down a bit?

This site is filled with kind, helpful people. Thank you.

I don't know your recipe, but when I add maple syrup (and I use Vermont Grade C) I wait until my readings tell me that fermentation has stopped. When adding more then 16oz I usually rack to secondary first. Plenty of yeast will be in suspension and activity will take off again.

What was your initial recipe and what kind of syrup are you using?

1/2lb crystal crushed specialty grain
6.6lb amber liquid malt extract
1oz northern brewer hops
1lb Belgium candi sugar
1/2 cluster hops
1tsp irish moss
8oz brown sugar
8oz molasses
1oz golding leaf hops
American ale yeast
8-10 oz Grade A maple syrup

That's a nice recipe.

With that amount of Grade A I think you're good to dump it into primary at end of fermentation, but I'd still be tempted to rack it first. Definitely not a requirement. You have a lot of sugars in there so I would say def wait until your SG is under (wait, what was your OG? lol) 1.015. It will just stress the yeast if you get too much in there.

Also...if you're going for maple flavor and are tempted to prime with syrup, my advice is that corn sugar is your friend. Grading of syrup is very unregulated and can lead to bottle bombs. So I've heard...as they go off in my closet.

Haha. Ever see Breaking Bad on AMC? He had the same bottle bombs go off too. Funny scene.

The recipe calls for the maple addition after a couple days after brew day. Have priming sugar for the bottling.

OG was 1.052 after diluting a 3 gal batch (OG on that was 1.093) to 4gal. Didn't stir or shake after adding water though.

Thanks for the help VTB!

Well, three things are decided

1. You can't mix, and 1a) must be a quasi Celtic fan. (thanks for lending larry to us for a bit)
2. You def have an 8+ now brew. 1 gallon water into 4G 1.093 doesn't make 1.052.

Don't reply on bubbles. Test it on Wenesday and if around 1015ish, boil your syrup in 1cup water for about a minute. Really only need to get it over 170. Then dump it into your primary, using a sanitized funnel if you can. It will add some nice flavor.

It was 3 gal @ 1.093, added 1 gal to make it 4 gal and it ended up at 1.052! Seemed a bit extreme to me too!

Larry Legend = fantastic player. Larry Legend GM = ??? Granger was a good pick!

Back