Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Sweet flavor/Kinda Cidery

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
tardisode
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sweet flavor/Kinda Cidery

So I had bottled my first beer, brewed a brewers best recipe kit, all went well, fermented on primary for two weeks, and has been bottle conditoning for three weeks. The only real bad screw up i had was i didnt add enough water to the wort to get to a full 5 gallons. It would make sense that the flavor would be stronger or the alcohol higher when you are short by almost a gallon, but i cant pin down the kinda sweet flavor that it has, and i have a hard time describing it. Fermentation temps were solid at 68 F. Im gonna keep it bottle condionting for at least antoehr week before i try to drink it again. Could this be resolved by further bottle condtioning?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
xjmox14x
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Being your first, I'm going to assume that this was an extract kit? It could be the extract "twang" many taste. I'd imagine this would only be magnified when diluting it less...

Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
teresalgl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Yes. Don't throw it out. Give it some time and if it's not at least drinkable, give it another week or two. Repeat as necessary. I've made beer that tasted like lighter fluid initially but was actually quite good after another month in the bottle.

What was the FG?

Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Yea, I'm going to guess the FG was just high due to the low initial volume. Probably just residual sugars that aren't going to get fermented. It will probably age well, though.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
tardisode
Recipes 

i dont have my notes on me at work, but i belive the abv i calculated was around 5.2. It was indeed an extract brew. I had planned on at kleast three weeks bottle condtioing so im not too worried about waiting, its definetely drinkable, just not tasting as good as i would like.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmox14x View Post
Being your first, I'm going to assume that this was an extract kit? It could be the extract "twang" many taste. I'd imagine this would only be magnified when diluting it less...
Extract twang isn't much of a worry anymore unless you are using old extract. Typically if you buy from a good site or your LHBS sells a lot, the extract will be fresh and you won't get that twang.

Was the wort at 68 or ambient temp at 68?

Is it a cidery flavor or more green apple tasting? Sometimes flavors are really hard to tell.

If it is a green apple flavor, you may have to aerate more or your temp was too high.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Quick Reply