Suggestions on first brew (recipe) Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INeedANewHobby

Reaction score
I've been reading alot here and am nearly finished with the howtobrew.com online book, and I am about to purchase this kit. About the only thing I haven't decided on is which recipe to try first. I want something easy to drink on the backporch in early spring with family and friends. Not too light, not too dark ya know!? Any recommendations? Anything Midwest has as a kit would be nice (this is my first brew) since I'll be placing that order with them shortly.

Thanks in advance!

Looking at the listings under Light Ales you won't find anything lighter than a Cream ale. I prefer the ESB and the Amarillo Ale recipes. If you decide to go with the Munton's yeast get an additional pack as 12 grams are better than 6.

If you like coors light, how about the "Liberty Cream Ale" that Midwest sells? That would be a lighter tasting beer. I like ESBs and Pale Ales, but I believe in making what you like. You really can't go wrong with a kit from them in any beer style you like (except for lagers), so order what sounds good to you!

By the way, that kit is awful nice - that's about everything you will need and then some for years to come.

I've made several Midwest kits - most of them are pretty easy. I REALLY like their Grand Cru, but I'm not sure of it's for you. I'd go through the descriptions and get soemthing that sounds good.

Stick with the ales

SteveM said:
By the way, that kit is awful nice - that's about everything you will need and then some for years to come.

Thanks for the feedback on the kit! I've been looking at ALOT of them and it seems to have about everything I could want for a while! Just looking for the right (cheap) keg to dissect for my boiling pot!

Thats the exact kit I started with, but I had them add ports and spigots to the Better Bottles.

I also second Lorena's suggestion for a Cream Ale. Sounds like a good starter for you.

Blender said:
Looking at the listings under Light Ales you won't find anything lighter than a Cream ale. I prefer the ESB and the Amarillo Ale recipes. If you decide to go with the Munton's yeast get an additional pack as 12 grams are better than 6.

So all of my equipment and recipe has arrived by now! I am wanting to brew today, but had one question about the statement above...Iw ent ahead and bought another 6g pack of the Munton's dry yeast. Should I go ahead and pitch all 12 grams?? Or just 6 and have the other 6 here just in case? Is there such a thing as too much yeast in the brew process? Thanks!

There's really no such thing as too much yeast (within reason). The extra yeast will minimize your lag time. If your going to add 12 gm, then add them all at once so you won't have to open your fermentor and risk contamination.

Good luck...have fun!:tank:

Fingers said:
What would be too little yeast?

6g won't give you enough attenuation, I'd think. You probably only have 10+ billion cells in there--most yeast packs come with 11.5g, that's about 25 billion cells. Liquid packs have 100 billion. If I were you, I'd use both of your 6g packs and make a starter, and you'll be swimming. :drunk:

Latest posts

Back