Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Substituting light DME for English Pale Ale LME?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #1
Riko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Substituting light DME for English Pale Ale LME?

I want to brew the West Coast Blaster recipe in "Brewing Classic Styles" and have a question about substituting dried malt extract for the liquid malt extract that the recipe calls for.

The recipe calls for English Pale Ale LME and Munich LME. I have a bunch of light DME and am wondering if it's OK to substitute that for either or both of the LMEs. Would the difference mostly be in color, or would the flavor, gravity and other factors change, too?

Old 03-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Okay for the English Pale, but substituting for the Munich would make a noticeable impact on the flavor.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
jmkratt
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just brewed the recipe and I substituted Light DME for the English Pale Ale LME because I couldn't find it locally and didn't want to have it shipped. I am not worried in the least bit.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
Riko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info.

I'm now seeing that my local home brew mart doesn't have any munich extract (dry or liquid) in stock. A google search led me to a thread where Jamil himself said:

Munich malt will self convert, so for extract brewers, I'd suggest just doing a mini mash when the amounts are small. You just need to hold it in a small amount of water around the mid 150s (F) for about 30 to 45 minutes. Then just rinse like you're steeping.

I've never done a mini mash before. The recipe calls for 0.7 pounds of munich LME. To do an appropriate mini mash, how can I determine how much munich grain would I use?

Would it be OK to add the munich grain to the other steeping grains, or do I need to mash it separately? If separately, how much water is "a small amount of water"? Do I put the grain in a muslin bag, then put it in the water for 30-45 minutes, then add the water to the kettle?

Old 01-08-2011, 04:43 AM   #5
barrooze
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riko View Post
I've never done a mini mash before. The recipe calls for 0.7 pounds of munich LME. To do an appropriate mini mash, how can I determine how much munich grain would I use?
I know this is old, but I thought I'd answer your question if people ask it again in the future. In Jamil's BCS book he has the all-grain substitutions as well. He says to replace the Munich LME with 1 lb Munich malt and mash it at 152 F. An easy way to do a partial mash can be found here. Just follow the instructions to mash the Munich malt then continue with your boil and add your British Pale ale LME to that.
Kegged: Flanders Blonde, Saison (WLP585), Saison (Belle Saison), Mid-ABV Janet's Brown, Texas Brown Ale (A.K.A. The Creature) Primary: Nothing Souring: Oaked Brett Blended Saison On Deck: Oktoberfest (ECY15) On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Tonguesplitter Updated: 2014/05/05
Untappd: barrooze

Old 02-03-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Riko
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Barrooze!

Quick Reply