Storing Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NFamato

Reaction score
When storing yeast for long periods of time, where do I store it. A refrigerator, basement? What temperature? I ordered a couple packets from Midwest and just received them in the mail. So I was wondering how i should go about storing them. Looking for a little help.

The fridge for sure. Long term you can freeze it with the proper technique. ideally you want yeast as fresh as possible. You might get better response to this thread if you posted in the yeast and fermentation forum.

When storing yeast for long periods of time, where do I store it? A refrigerator, basement, etc? What temperature? I ordered a couple packets from Midwest and just received them in the mail. So I was wondering how i should go about storing them. Looking for a little help.

I store dry yeast in the freezer and it will last a couple months. Liquid yeast goes in the fridge and needs to be used within a week or two.

I put my yeast packets in the lil butter cubby on the fridge door. They last quite a long time in there. I always re-hydrate dry yeast as well to freshen them up.

I store dry yeast in the freezer and it will last a couple months. Liquid yeast goes in the fridge and needs to be used within a week or two.

where are you getting these time lines? liquid yeast has a 4-6 month shelf life as is and as long as you make a starter, its fine even longer. dry yeast is good for over a year in the fridge

where are you getting these time lines? liquid yeast has a 4-6 month shelf life as is and as long as you make a starter, its fine even longer. dry yeast is good for over a year in the fridge

The liquid yeast I'm referring to would be harvested yeast. Why would you buy a smack pack and sit on it for 4-6 months? regardless of how it's stored, the freshest yeast would perform better.

From BYO:
Refrigerated yeast can last about a week or two, but for sanitation reasons, it’s better to pitch it within the first few days of harvesting.

For long periods of time you can store liquid or harvested yeast by freezing it properly:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/d...tarter-then-why-not-farm-yeast-freeze-269488/

Otherwise, packaged liquid yeast will have a viable number of cells if keep in in the fridge up to its best use date. After that you need to make a starter.
Dry can be kept up to the best used date at room temp, you can extend this further (not sure how much) by keeping it in the fridge.
Harvested yeast can be subjected to infection and mutation if kept in the fridge over x amount of time. Best to use quickly or freeze properly.

The liquid yeast I'm referring to would be harvested yeast. Why would you buy a smack pack and sit on it for 4-6 months? regardless of how it's stored, the freshest yeast would perform better.

From BYO:
Refrigerated yeast can last about a week or two, but for sanitation reasons, it’s better to pitch it within the first few days of harvesting.

i'm not saying i would sit on it that long, just that what its shelf life is from the manufacturer. your quote wasn't clear that you meant harvested yeast & despite BYOs claim, it lasts much longer than that regardless. plenty of people on here have used harvested yeast that is months old & i've used stuff over a year old without a hitch. not to mention, just think about how old some of the dregs are people use from commercial brews without a problem

sure freshest is best, but if you;re using a starter, you got tons of fresh yeast no matter the age

I think the one week timeline is referring to active liquid yeast without doing a starter? That's definitely not true for a liquid yeast pack. Homebrew shops store liquid wyeast packs in fridges for months, and I store yeast cultures under cool boiled water for months to re-use. If they are sleeping they last for months. If you aren't buying fresh wyeast packs every time you brew, then always make a starter to check the viability and increase your cell count.

True that. I used a 2 year old dry yeast once that I put in a small starter for 8 hours at least. It worked great in a pale ale I brewed that turned out a lot like paulaner salvator. So there does indeed seem to be quite a bit of leway in this regard. I've got commercial cooper's yeast sealed in the fridge for some 4 months now I'm going to use this winter. May take a 1 gallon starter,but I'm positive it'll be fine. I've had it proven to me time & again how tough the lil yeasties are.

Back