Storing hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
I bought two kits but I'm not going to be able to make them for a few weeks. The hops are sealed but I've heard they may need to go into the refrigerator. Any truth to this?

I store my in the fridge for months and they are fine. after I open the bags, I have one of the vacuum sealers that are pretty cheap at Target and I seal them up again. the nice thing about the vacuum sealer bags is that you can cut them open, use a couple of oz of hops and reseal them again a few times, saving $$ and hops.

Definitely toss them in the freezer

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Home Brew mobile app

Throw them in the freezer. Fridge if no space, but freezer is better. Reduce oxygen exposure, but if you cant you will be fine. In the freezer in a purged container you can store hops for a year if you need to. Heck it should last longer. Hops are harvested once a year, and then sold throughout that year until the next harvest.

Back