Storage/Conditioning. Store cold or room temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave0

Reaction score
So i've brewed a few batches. Learnt a lot, and had a great time so far brewing. The question is related to storage. Specifically i'm wondering how do you guys store your beer after it's bottled and conditioned?

Do you keep it on the shelf at room temp, or do you take it straight to the fridge and keep it chilled?

I ask because I brewed an IPA that was delicious the first two weeks, and is becoming increasingly bitter. Which i've also read is extremely common due to the hop oils breaking down.

So what is the rule of thumb (if it exists) for storage of conditioned bottles. Or does it depend on the style?

Thanks!

Cellar temp (~60 F) is ideal for conditioning...meaning reactions will still be taking place and your beer will change over time.

Cooler temps (~35 F) will dramatically slow this process and preserve more than condition although your beer will change over time.

Rule of thumb - the warmer the temp, the faster it will change.

So I guess I should add to that...you can't stop the beer from changing.

My suggestion, lower your IBU next time around. Also, I find my beers almost always get better as they age so don't give up hope on this IPA.

Bottles, I keep in the basement in beer cases. I keep a couple on rotation in the fridge for drinking. Your beer will change over time as it conditions at room temperature...usually for the better.

Cooler is better, as long as the beer doesn't freeze. A few years back, I took an 'off-taste' seminar. At one point, we compared a commercial beer, one sample stored at 35F for a year and one stored at 100F for a month. The latter was horrible. Couldn't tell the 35F sample from 'fresh'.

Back