New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Stick-on (liquid crystal?) thermometer placement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2008, 04:36 AM   #1
HopEd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default Stick-on (liquid crystal?) thermometer placement

Does it matter where on a plastic, bucket fermenter you place the stick-on (liquid crystal?) thermometer?

Mine is stuck on such that the bottom of the thermometer is 6.5 inches from the bottom of the fermenter. I have seen pics of people's carboys were the thermometer is stuck near the bottom of the carboy.

Bottled: Imperial Stout, Pecan Pie Porter, Scottish Ale, Milk Stout
Kegged: Celebration Ale, Scotoberfest

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 05:18 AM   #2
johnsma22

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts

I would say that the placement is not critical. I placed mine so that they were basically in the middle of the liquid level.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
BrewDog760
Recipes 

I don't think it matters much as long as it is well below the top of the liquid that is in the carboy/bucket. You should get the most accurate temp reading when there is liquid and not air on the other side of the thermometer.

Cheers!

Coming Up: Rye Stout

Old 07-30-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
Chad

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Keep in mind that you need to place the thermometer high enough so that if you have to use a water bath the strip isn't underwater. They're pretty much useless then.

Chad

www.chadwrites.com

Old 09-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
mr_y82
Recipes 

d*mn... I have one under water now (hard to avoid with a 1 gallon jug in a water bath...)... They said waterPROOF, so I thought I might get away with it...

It is still currently giving the temp, but the part that has been underwater, while still sticking, is developing some light/white areas around the temps that "move" or change when I press or rub across them... http://www.williamsbrewing.com/STRIP-THERMOMETER-P538.aspx

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Ben Franklin 1779

Old 09-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
BainbridgeBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Try putting clear packing tape over your fermometer strips. That may make them a little more "water proof". I usually place my strips in the middle of the carboy / bucket, or wherever the middle of the beer would be.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #7
shawnbou
Zyme Lord
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BainbridgeBrewer View Post
Try putting clear packing tape over your fermometer strips. That may make them a little more "water proof". I usually place my strips in the middle of the carboy / bucket, or wherever the middle of the beer would be.
Someone else may have gotten that to work, but I tried clear packing tape and the thermometer still died after a week-long soak in the swamp cooler. I'm personally just going to use the stick-ons on bulk aging carboys from now on, and use a thermometer probe taped to the side of my fermenter for primary.

Read my brewing blog here! Last of the Zyme Lords

BOUSIRIS BOUERY - Home of the Zyme Lord
The cans of Leinenkugel's had masking tape on them with JOHN'S printed in ink. Amy looked around me and said, "John is protective about his beer, isn't he?"
"I put that label on there. When company comes I want them to know the Leinie's is his, not mine."
- David Wong

On Tap:
Anna Livia Irish Stout
Gondor IPA
Melancholy Bill's Infinitely Sad Pumpkin Ale
Lucian's Landing Ginger Metheglin

Old 09-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #8
mr_y82
Recipes 

both ideas sound good... seeing as I have already stuck the thermometer on the jug, I will heed bainbridge's advice! I was was actually getting ready to go do exactly that before I noticed the responses... a little further reading on the site led me to a similar conclusion.

thanks guys... this site is great.

"Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine, a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." - Ben Franklin 1779

Old 09-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #9
BainbridgeBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just watch for air bubbles near the edge of the tape. They may give a access point for water into the thermometer.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
mr_y82
Recipes 

yeah... on the 1 gallon jug at both top and bottom it's a bit too long to stick perfectly... hopefully slapping on the packaging tape will keep it going for a while... I'll try to avoid bathing this one again if it seems to work when I rack the mead again... or if the tape keeps the water out I won't worry about it!

Thanks again.

Quick Reply