Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > stepping up from Mr. Beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 05:23 AM   #1
Crestfallinman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default stepping up from Mr. Beer

so i currently have my first Mr. Beer fermenting, and upon talking to a guy i work with (oddly a long time brewer) he suggested changing one aspect of brewing each brew until i get to the point where im really brewing

does anyone have hints or suggestions to what brews i should try with each new batch? i wanna work up to real brewing before i jump fully in and upgrade to the good stuff and well i have no idea where to go from here

any help is appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
101DDD
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

I did the same thing as you. Got the Mr. Beer kit for Christmas, made both batches, and was carpooling with a guy that brewed. I went from 1 fermenter to two, moved to using DME (dry malt extract), pitching hops, using actual bottles, and finally making my own mash tun.

Now I want to get away from those itty bitty kegs. All in due time though. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
tdogg
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

most kits from brew shops are designed for 5 gallons, and are based on unhopped extracts. mr beer is 2 gallons and used hopped extracts. you could change either of those variables, or both to start.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:29 AM   #4
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Search the recipe section here and find ones you like, and you on your way. Lot of idea's there, also check the sticky at the top "Mr. Beer" . Have fun and welcome to HBT.Cheers

Old 12-10-2011, 05:40 AM   #5
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Many people start with extract brewing, and then decide they want to brew using all grains and then have to obtain new equipment. If you want to start moving towards this the main thing you are going to want to avoid repurchasing is your boil kettle. I strongly recommend buying a 10 gallon kettle(the nicest one you can afford) and fitting it with a drain valve and thermometer or buying one with those installed. This kettle will serve you well for extract brewing, and will take you to into all-grain brewing with the simple and inexpensive upgrade of a cooler-style mash tun. You'll also need to buy a propane stand burner. Once you buy that big nice kettle though everything else will fall into place. Welcome to the most addictive hobby ever.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:55 AM   #6
Crestfallinman
Recipes 

well it definitely looks like i came to the right place! so much good information, and i just did my first and im looking into my second, i didnt think it would be this addicting its overwhelming how much i have to learn! and i cant wait to learn it haha i think when i go to upgrade im still going to keep it to about 2.5 gal, i like variety moreso than quanity and it will be easy to cut recipes in half rather than doing the math for the 2 gallon "keg"

and our of curiosity what is a mash tun?

Old 12-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #7
BOBrob
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Well,. ,you fell off the wagon now. So to speak a mash tun is used in all grain brewing. The web site "john palmer how to brew "is a must read for the new brewers. This will start you through the brewing process in both extract & all grain; every thing you need to learn. You will be back with lots of questions or just looking around for answers, if you think of it, it has probably been asked before. JUst ask Cheers

Old 12-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
bottlebomber
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2701 Times on 2092 Posts
Likes Given: 346

To just answer your question though, "mashing" is the controlled process of steeping your grains in hot water during which enzymes in the malted grain convert starch into sugar. A mash tun, or MT as it is commonly seen here, is the vessel in which this takes place. It usually involves either a heated and/or insulated vessel which has some kind of mechanism to allow the wort to drain out leaving the spent grain behind.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #9
joeybeer
Recipes 

Likes Given: 27

Whenever anyone mentions a big pot, I can't help but butt in with "keggle, keggle, keggle" really it's a 15.5 gallon stainless steel pot that costs $40 (vs. $300) Just get to know a good local welder and spend a few bucks on bargainfittings.com - it's worth the trouble to find a legal one, when it's finished you'll be as happy as a clam

Old 12-10-2011, 07:25 AM   #10
tdogg
Recipes 

Likes Given: 13

another tip, read "how to brew"

*your co worker probably has a copy

Quick Reply