Starting my first Irish Stout soon :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProfessorWoland

Reaction score
Hi

Trying my first Irish Stout tomorrow (before I've done an IPA, ginger beer, and a bitter which have all went down well.) I'm using:

1 tin Coopers Irish Stout
500g medium spray malt
1 kilo Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

I know Brew Enhancer 2 would be better, but the local home brew shop was waiting a delivery of it.

Anyone tried the above or have an idea if it will turn out well?

It should turn out well. I've had lots of luck fermenting stouts around 64F (Ambient) and letting them finish at room temp. If it doesn't taste great after 6 weeks, it will continue to get better and better for the next 2 years if you bottle it right. You'll be fine. :)

Thanks, that's it fermenting away now. The OG seemed a bit low (1.040 at 28°C it will cool down soon though). I'm guessing it mightn't have been fully stirred when I took the reading.

Hi

Trying my first Irish Stout tomorrow (before I've done an IPA, ginger beer, and a bitter which have all went down well.) I'm using:

1 tin Coopers Irish Stout
500g medium spray malt
1 kilo Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

I know Brew Enhancer 2 would be better, but the local home brew shop was waiting a delivery of it.

Anyone tried the above or have an idea if it will turn out well?

I have brewed that before it has a very nice flavour and body but I exchanged the brew enhancer for dextrose just adds a little ABV :drunk:

I am currently brewing it again but a chocolate version.

Cool! How do you go about making the chocolate one?

I've been reading about people using treacle at secondary to carbonate when bottled but have also read it takes ages to condition.

At the moment I don't do a secondary and just bottle once the fermentation has finished and use the Coopers carbonation drops (1 per bottle.)

Cool! How do you go about making the chocolate one?

I've been reading about people using treacle at secondary to carbonate when bottled but have also read it takes ages to condition.

At the moment I don't do a secondary and just bottle once the fermentation hasl finished and use the Coopers carbonation drops (1 per bottle.)

I do the same but for the chocolate I use 1kg of crushed chocolate malt instead of light or dark malt and 2 teaspoons of Brown sugar

Every time I do a stout it has a violent fermentation within the first 24 hours :tank:

The insane amount of foam has gone after about 48 hours. Looking forward to this in about a month a half for my first sample out of a bottle.

Took a reading yesterday (day 5) and it was only 1.016 at about 24°C. Same today. I'm fighting my n00b instinct to panic and just leave it.

This stout is much different from other Coopers kits which have always reached FG within 4 days, even with me poorly controlling the temperature in winter.

Smells and tastes nice already though.

Back