Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Starsansucked back into carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
BrooklynBrewerMHC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm about to rack my IPA wort to my fermenter, True Brew bucket (first time brewer, today is the first brew)...just curious, should I soak my airlock in star San before inserting it into the hole the top of my bucket lid? Also I boiled my top off water like 2 hrs ago and have been letting it cool down and haven't opened the lid on the pot it's in (spare 2 gallon stock pot I already had)...so that water should be sterile still right? Thanks so much and sorry is this is beginner stuff for y'all!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynBrewerMHC View Post
I'm about to rack my IPA wort to my fermenter, True Brew bucket (first time brewer, today is the first brew)...just curious, should I soak my airlock in star San before inserting it into the hole the top of my bucket lid? Also I boiled my top off water like 2 hrs ago and have been letting it cool down and haven't opened the lid on the pot it's in (spare 2 gallon stock pot I already had)...so that water should be sterile still right? Thanks so much and sorry is this is beginner stuff for y'all!
Yeah, soak the airlock. Always better to be safe than sorry. Yes, your boil water is sterile. Just make sure it's cooled before you use it to top off. You probably did some work to get the temp down, no need to raise it back up again.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:06 AM   #13
BrooklynBrewerMHC
Recipes 

Thanks CloneFan94! Def better to be safe than sorry and it was a LOT of ice and work to cool the wort down, the top off water thankfully was at room temp by then.

Quick Reply