Splitting a Brewer's Best (Kit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrG

Reaction score
Hi there -- I bought a Brewer's Best (Irish Stout) kit. It's for 5 gallons. I only have two 1G fermenters. Is it possible to successfully split the ingredients?
I doubt it's possible to get 5 batches out of it. But could I potentially split it in two?

If so, once I open the dry ingredients, can I just put them in some resealable bags? What about the Pure Malt Extract? How long will that last once it's open?

Any info would be great!
-MrG.

I think you'd be a lot happier buying a 5 gallon bucket from the hardware store and attaching a blowoff tube to the lid. Trying to split up the ingredients and yeast that much just doesn't seem worth it. I guess it's do-able, of course, but it would be a pain.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

The short answer is yes. Beer is scalable. Some worry about grain freshness and vacuum seal. I just carefully squeeze the air out of open grain bags and tape them shut. The same with dry extract. With liquid extract, when I open a container, I put the lid back on and refrigerate it. Some brewers pour a little vodka on it, but I don't see the need.

Back