So, so sad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxdmax

Reaction score
I just poured a bottle of week 2 Wit down the drain having deemed it non-potable. 4 weeks primary followed by 2 in the bottle is not the least bit tasty, at least to me and SWMBO. I don't know if it's due to a narrow palate or if there's something actually wrong with it. We're going away for a few days and when we return I'll pawn off (give) a couple of bottles on (to) friends who like hops more than I. Maybe they'll like it, maybe they won't.

If this doesn't improve by week 3 it will put a lot of pressure on batch 2.

wheats are generally good young but i wouldn't fret until you've waited at least 4-6 weeks.

If it's only been in the bottle 2 weeks then you are judging it prematurely! It can take a few weeks to taste good and carb properly. Give it 2 or 3 more weeks and try it again.

All the above - be patient, you may be surprised.

Cheers!

A wit isn't generally hoppy... Is there a commercial wit you like? Maybe its the yeast profile you're not liking.

And since it's your first batch I'll go out on a limb and say you'll likely end up liking hops a lot more than you do now in a few months.. It happens to the best of us. I didn't like hoppy beers at all when I started brewing. Now I love me an IPA and I'm growing hops all around my house! :mug:

^^^ I'm w/Stauffbier...my next step up in the hobby is growing hops.

Could also be the pour. My wheats have a much hoppier flavor if I don't chill long enough or get some of the yeast in the pour.

You're right man, it's more than likely ruined. PM me for my address and you can pawn the rest off on me ;)

Oh I know about the whole patience thing and figured I'd get a lecture but couldn't help myself. (I knew I was overreacting)

See ya in another week.

Oh I know about the whole patience thing and figured I'd get a lecture but couldn't help myself. (I knew I was overreacting)

See ya in another week.

wait a week then put it in the fridge and keep it in the fridge for a week then try it. I find letting sit in the fridge for a while helps a lot especially with that type of beer.

With a wit, I'd think a 4 week primary is PLENTY, and at 2 weeks bottled it should be a little undercarbed, but if it's dumpworthy it might be a different problem than just being green. My wheat beers I usually primary a week or two less than that, and with three weeks in the bottle it's about the same timeframe. One of the few beers where I'd say it might NOT be too green.

Can you post the recipe you used? What yeast? What were you fermenting at? Can you describe the exact flavors you were tasting that seem to be the problem? With more information we can probably be a bit more helpful.

Even if you end up not liking this beer it does not need to put pressure on batch #2, it just means you don't like this one. Have you had a Wit you liked or is it off flavors?

Back