So much beer, so little time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptKiRkLeS

Reaction score
As I continue my research into home brewing I began to realize that 5 gallons of beer is a lot. Now I love beer, I wish I could drink it everyday but that is not possible. Most of my friends are not into craft beers (Heineken is adventurous for them) and my brother is one of the few people that enjoy the finer beers in life. What am I to do with all that beer? I know I can keep it for a few months but no one wants to drink the same beer for months at a time, there are just too many different styles out there that need some love. Of course I am willing to give some away, especially if it comes out good but it's still a lot. What does everyone here do with there beer?

I've now completed 15 - 5 gallon batches and 5 gallons no longer seems like enough :D

Regardless of how it turns out you'll drink it much faster than you thought you would. And sticking a 6 pack away in a cellar for a later date never hurts.

I run into that same problem. I don't drink a lot and neither does my girlfriend. I would rather enjoy 1-2 beers than needlessly chug down 10. Unfortunately I am in college so all of my friends just want their cheap 30-pack of Natty Light and anything else has "too much flavor" (one of them told me he didn't like standard Budweiser for this fact.) Thus 5 gallons seemed excessive. My solution was to just do 2.5 gallon batches. Less beer to drink, but it also means I get to brew more often and try more styles.

As I continue my research into home brewing I began to realize that 5 gallons of beer is a lot. Now I love beer, I wish I could drink it everyday but that is not possible. Most of my friends are not into craft beers (Heineken is adventurous for them) and my brother is one of the few people that enjoy the finer beers in life. What am I to do with all that beer? I know I can keep it for a few months but no one wants to drink the same beer for months at a time, there are just too many different styles out there that need some love. Of course I am willing to give some away, especially if it comes out good but it's still a lot. What does everyone here do with there beer?

5 gallons is about 2.5 cases. Maybe my friends and I :cross:are alkies but I have sadly gone thought 2 kegs in one weekend of football. With four guys.

I run into that same problem. I don't drink a lot and neither does my girlfriend. I would rather enjoy 1-2 beers than needlessly chug down 10. Unfortunately I am in college so all of my friends just want their cheap 30-pack of Natty Light and anything else has "too much flavor" (one of them told me he didn't like standard Budweiser for this fact.) Thus 5 gallons seemed excessive. My solution was to just do 2.5 gallon batches. Less beer to drink, but it also means I get to brew more often and try more styles.

Let me get the straight you're in college and you can't get rid of your beer!?!?!!?!?

What college do you goto?

Budwiser has too much "flavor"....ROTFLMAO...

Too bad I live in NJ I could gladly bring beer raiders to your home and help you out. I was pretty pi$$Ed that my first batch of Octoberfest went in one weekend.....After that I was like you guys need to chip in here or something gave them the moorebeer and AHS website and told them I'll brew up what they want only thing is now you spend the coin....:D

Unfortunately I am in college so all of my friends just want their cheap 30-pack of Natty Light and anything else has "too much flavor" (one of them told me he didn't like standard Budweiser for this fact.) Thus 5 gallons seemed excessive. My solution was to just do 2.5 gallon batches. Less beer to drink, but it also means I get to brew more often and try more styles.

they will drink natty light but snub their noses to your home brew? Man, in college, free beer is free beer natty light of craft brew. These kids need to be taught a lesson.

As for the 2.5 gal. batches....I like that idea. Do you cut your kits in half or do you make your own?

Well, I would believe that after a few months of brewing, you will develop tastes, likes and dislikes. You will refine your recipes, and someday you will find a recipe that you must have as your house ale because you love it so much. At this point, I can bet money that the BMC beer at the local store won't satisfy your beer thirst.

So my reasoning is that most homebrewers have a goal to build up their pipeline. I hate not having homebrew because I have to settle for that crap at the store. Building up your pipeline with different brews means you have more variety to choose from . This also means that once you have your stock pile, you dont have to brew as often or can take a break, which makes sense for a college student.

I dont drink a lot, and a lot of my friends dont like craft beers or homebrew. But I drink 1 pint a day and a few on the weekend. That kills 5g easily in less than a month.

Well, I would believe that after a few months of brewing, you will develop tastes, likes and dislikes. You will refine your recipes, and someday you will find a recipe that you must have as your house ale because you love it so much. At this point, I can bet money that the BMC beer at the local store won't satisfy your beer thirst.

So my reasoning is that most homebrewers have a goal to build up their pipeline. I hate not having homebrew because I have to settle for that crap at the store. Building up your pipeline with different brews means you have more variety to choose from . This also means that once you have your stock pile, you dont have to brew as often or can take a break, which makes sense for a college student.

I dont drink a lot, and a lot of my friends dont like craft beers or homebrew. But I drink 1 pint a day and a few on the weekend. That kills 5g easily in less than a month.

LOL!!! I find myself not even getting a beer while dinning out now....:mug:

i once thought i would have that problem as well, since most of the time i drink a beer at night in the garage by myself, so at best 2-3 per week. however, i think once i get a batch or two done, i can keep 2-3 different varieties in different stages of bottled age just fine. there are a lot of posts on here about how someone finds a straggler in the back of the closet/cellar/whatever of a brew they did a year ago, and they crack it open just for the hell of it, and it turns out to be the best beer they ever made. so if you figure it'll be fine for a year or more, 4-5 5gal varieties available at all times isn't a big deal. i guess if you're in a bind for storage though, better find a brewmate or two nearby, then you can all swap sixers whenever someone brews.

haha 5 gallons is not a lot. Maybe its because I have another beer drinker in the house, my brother, and I have friends over to drink. But I make 10 gallons at a time and I have yet to have them last longer than 2 weeks.

Let me get the straight you're in college and you can't get rid of your beer!?!?!!?!?

What college do you goto?

Budwiser has too much "flavor"....ROTFLMAO...

Too bad I live in NJ I could gladly bring beer raiders to your home and help you out. I was pretty pi$$Ed that my first batch of Octoberfest went in one weekend.....After that I was like you guys need to chip in here or something gave them the moorebeer and AHS website and told them I'll brew up what they want only thing is now you spend the coin....:D

It is a very funny issue. Also very sad. When I heard the Budweiser comment my jaw literally dropped. It is amazing how stubborn the people here are about their cheap "beer." Battle lines are drawn between people who like Natty and Beast.

they will drink natty light but snub their noses to your home brew? Man, in college, free beer is free beer natty light of craft brew. These kids need to be taught a lesson.

As for the 2.5 gal. batches....I like that idea. Do you cut your kits in half or do you make your own?

Free beer is free beer, but they mistake flavor for something bad. They are too familiar with beer having no taste that they get a beer with flavor they don't like it.

I form my own recipes using Beersmith.

I would suggest brewing 'bigger' beers then that benefit from age. I am personally a fan of stouts and brown ales (both of which can take a lot of time to mature) and neither are 'daily drinkers'.

You can always visit doing smaller batches if you are uncomfortable with 'too much' beer (not possible IMO) OR
You can get into kegging which will increase your beer consumption exponentially.
-Me

*NOTE* You can also use your beer for COOKING. I have a questionable batch that may or may not come out as a style I like and want to drink. Im sure it will go good with my foods.

I don't particularly drink much, maybe 6 or so on a Friday or Saturday, usually don't drink anything during the week. Theoretically at that rate a 5 gallon batch will last about 2 months. I thought that might be an issue at first.

Truth is, after 2 months, the beer is getting really good, and they just don't stick around that long. Not to mention, when it's your beer, you revel in each bottle, it's not the same as buying 2 cases of a brand name.

I find I don't get bored with the beer, each week it tastes a little different, a little better. Then, right when it's at it's best, you run out.

I normally drink microbrews, so everything is $8 - $9 a 6 pack. When I run out of Homebrew it actually hurts to have to go out and buy it. If your friends don't like it, that just means more for you. Try to talk them into buying bottles of something that doesn't have twist tops, this way you have something to put your beer into.

I don't particularly drink much, maybe 6 or so on a Friday or Saturday, usually don't drink anything during the week. Theoretically at that rate a 5 gallon batch will last about 2 months. I thought that might be an issue at first.

Truth is, after 2 months, the beer is getting really good, and they just don't stick around that long. Not to mention, when it's your beer, you revel in each bottle, it's not the same as buying 2 cases of a brand name.

I find I don't get bored with the beer, each week it tastes a little different, a little better. Then, right when it's at it's best, you run out.

I normally drink microbrews, so everything is $8 - $9 a 6 pack. When I run out of Homebrew it actually hurts to have to go out and buy it. If your friends don't like it, that just means more for you. Try to talk them into buying bottles of something that doesn't have twist tops, this way you have something to put your beer into.

This is why you brew 10 gallons because that last pull tastes the best then it hits you there is another 5 gallons all carbed up ready to go.

To the Op I would do 2.5 gallon brews then you will get an idea of the styles you like and what you mainstay beers will be . I started out loving IPA's the hoppier the better now I rarely drink them. My main two beers are octoberfest and mild brown most of the year in the summer Hefe and Wits .

Not hard to store that amount in bottles

Yeah... actually, you'd be surprised how fast it goes when you pop 1-2 every night after work/school. Better yet, bottle in 22 oz. bottles and have 1-2 of those each night. Gone in no time! :drunk:

I thought the same thing when I started. 5 gal. seems like so much beer. In reality, once you give a sixer to your pops, one to the brother in-law, a few cases to friends and coworkers.....It goes pretty quick. I find it takes way too long from brew-pot to bottle. Once you start tasting your latest brew, you should have already started on the next one. I have become very picky in the beer I drink. To me it's a crime to pay 6$ for a pint of coors light!

I run into that same problem. I don't drink a lot and neither does my girlfriend. I would rather enjoy 1-2 beers than needlessly chug down 10. ......................... Thus 5 gallons seemed excessive. My solution was to just do 2.5 gallon batches. Less beer to drink, but it also means I get to brew more often and try more styles.

+1 to this. one case (2.5G) batches work well. have been doing this with an occasional microbrew case added in which gives me a lot of variety without having too much. I drink a heart healthy 7 to 12 per week. I usually find a recipe that looks good and scale it using either one of the recipe sites http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator or brew pal on the iphone or beersmith. for a beer that I do from a kit it is usually the 5 gallons.

I'm about to start going with 10 gallon batches. The AG brew day is just too long to do all the time, and I figure another 5 gallons will only add an hour to the total.

only added time is to heat more water and its really not that bad if you have a good burner. The KAB4 that I have now will heat for 10 gallon batches almost as fast as my old burner heated for 5.

Does your beer go bad or something? Stick it in a closet and onto the next brew. I would rent a storage space for my beer before I went to 2.5gal batches...of course, that would be if theoretically I had trouble downing 50 beers.

Bottles are cheap. You can have your variety, and just have a few gallons of each, just make sure you drink the light ones before they hit the year and a half old mark.

Does your beer go bad or something?

nope drinking roughly 50 or less per month and like to brew 2 or 3 times a month the 2.5G gives 2 or 3 cases monthly 50 to 75 beers so you stay even or slightly ahead and can save the few extra. throw in a 5G batch every so often or a purchased case and the pipeline grows. if more are drunk either by multiple people or by giving it away then 5G or 10G batches can be brewed and is much more time and cost effective.

to the original poster
As I continue my research into home brewing I began to realize that 5 gallons of beer is a lot. Now I love beer, I wish I could drink it everyday but that is not possible. What am I to do with all that beer? I know I can keep it for a few months but no one wants to drink the same beer for months at a time, there are just too many different styles out there that need some love. What does everyone here do with there beer?
we all enjoy brewing and love beer. Each of us has different needs and likes and dislikes and time and space requirements so give several options a try to find what works for you. brew a couple of 2.5G or 3G batches see if the amount is worth the time and effort. if you like a specific recipe a 5 or 10 G is always available the next time to keep as a house brew. storage is sometimes a problem. I use staples crates http://www.staples.com/Staples-File-Storage-Crates/product_SS253856?cmArea=SC1:CG30:DP1525:CL140605 they store 29 bottles with a bottle separator from a cardboard case and are stackable so in a small space stacked 4 or 5 high you can store a lot for aging. I have found most beers are best for me between 3 and 6 months and bigger beers need more time, the oldest beers I have right now are 9 months bottled and only have a few left.

For me by switching to 2.5G I brewed a few beers I never thought I'd like but did it because I thought 'hey if I don't like it it's only a case wasted worth a try for trying a new style' but I really did like them and now these are my favorite styles and I brew more times monthly and better than before because of the experience.
Great site here. search on "small batch" etc. Revvy has a very good thread and there are many others that can give you several answers

Im a rookie brewer, my first brew was so good that it evaporated in no time. If you cant drink it, send it to me. I still buy beer but ony because i cant brew fast enough. I love drinking my own brew.

only added time is to heat more water and its really not that bad if you have a good burner. The KAB4 that I have now will heat for 10 gallon batches almost as fast as my old burner heated for 5.

Unfortunately, no, I don't have a good burner. I was planning on doing 2 5 gallon batches instead of 1 10 gallon batch. This way while I'm cooling one batch, I can be boiling the other. Also, I can do 2 different recipes.

I also don't have a wort chiller, yet another reason for doing 2 batches.

I only started brewing 5 months ago, and have been ramping up the means of production since. Now I need to fill the pipeline before I acquire more means of production.

Im a rookie brewer, my first brew was so good that it evaporated in no time. If you cant drink it, send it to me. I still buy beer but ony because i cant brew fast enough. I love drinking my own brew.

See your from Philly. I grew up in Ridley. I just started to get YARDS here in Pottsville as they are expanding so this is my commercial go to beer right now along with Yeungling lager for a session and party beer. I still buy it also.

I pick one weekend day as a work on the house/yard/etc day and start the brew and go back and forth between that and the project get a lot done for the house wife is happy and I made beer :ban:
twice monthly works well and occasionally a third time. takes a while to build the pipeline but worth it.:mug:

Its been 3 weeks since I bottled my first batch and there are 12 bottles left.... I've been forcing myself to stay away from them also.

Luckily I have an IPA ready to bottle this weekend, and my 5 and 6 gal better bottles showed up in the mail yesterday. An Irish Red, an American Amber, and a batch of Apfelwein are on deck for the next couple days.

Time to get that pipeline going!

Back