Siphoned Beer + o2 ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Bottled an oatmeal stout a few days ago, and I used a new auto siphon. Only problem was that the tubing was on the outside diameter of the racking cane, and produced turbulance when racking to the bottling bucket. There's nothing I can do now, but should I try and avoid this next time or is it a big deal?

o2.JPG

Also in another note, the beer has great color. Look at it compared to Black Butte Porter (in the glass)

os.JPG

You definitely want to remedy that for next time. Drink that one fast, because it may start to stale quickly. Oxygen is the mortal enemy of beer, and that looks like you oxygenated it pretty good, but if you drink it fresh, you may not notice any side affects.

Soon as it's carbonated I imagine it'll be gone shortly. I would have kegged, but didn't have any open kegs at the time...

Would you expect a darker, thicker beer to be mostly past the green stage in the usual 3 weeks / 70 deg scenerio?

Next time you can try pinching the hose just below the auto siphon. This will stop the air getting introduced most times.

I can spend like 50 cents and get a tube that fits in the inside. What do other people do... this can't be that rare of a problem?

Thanks for the tip on pinching the tube, I'll keep that in mind if I need it in a pinch.

I can spend like 50 cents and get a tube that fits in the inside. What do other people do... this can't be that rare of a problem?

Thanks for the tip on pinching the tube, I'll keep that in mind if I need it in a pinch.

I would suspect that you may have a small air leak where the tubing connects to the autosiphon - too small to be easily seen, but just big enough to let in some air. I use tubing that is small enough that I have to soak the end in hot water for a minute or two to soften it before I can slip it over the cane - that way it doesn't leak.
Also, when starting the siphon, be sure you have started a full siphon - if the stream is not filling the tubing, give it another pump.

Next time you can try pinching the hose just below the auto siphon. This will stop the air getting introduced most times.

This. Actually, I flick the part of the hose where the air is. A few flicks almost always does the trick, but i'm sure pinching would work too.

Keg lube or mineral oil on the connection, but that looks like a lot of infiltration, may be something else? Don't see how it could get that much air in.

I have the same issue with my autosiphon. I suspect it has something to do with the seal between the plunger on the end of the cane, and the outer tube that the cane slides in.

I've heard not storing the cane inside the tube will help, but if it is already doing it, I'm not sure it will fix your problem.

Try putting some keg lube on the plunger and see if that improves the seal.

I haven't had much luck getting tight seals using hose clamps, because the hose clamps don't apply even pressure all the way around. The best solution I've found is the one I mentioned earlier - using a slightly smaller diam. tube and soaking it in hot water to soften it enough to maneuver it onto the cane. After it cools you have a really airtight connection.

I can't see how the seal between the plunger and the outer tube could affect the flow after the siphon has been started, if it's all beneath the surface of the liquid - shouldn't it be just the same as an ordinary cane at that point?

One way I make sure there is a good seal between auto siphon and racking tube is this: I use a smaller 5/16" dia tube, heat up one end of it with a lighter, to where it becomes soft, slide it over the siphon tube, and as it cools it contracts around it. :) just make sure to cut that little bit off when done, because it will be enlarged. If only you could enlarge other things with a lighter :)

I picked up another piece of tubing was actually 91 cents instead of the 50 cents I guessed origionally.

The new tubing fits snugly on the inside of the cane. Think I'll give it a test run with some water to see how it works before I take a plunge into my next batch...

I still need to pick up some keg lube, don't have any of that yet.

I had the very same problem with my autosiphon--bubbles forming where the tubing fits over the racking cane end of the siphon. I was able to partially cure it by pinching the vinyl tubing at the transition point with a plastic hose clamp; but the setup remained finicky. If you are using 3/8" vinyl tubing, switching to 5/16" tubing will help. But getting the 5/16" stuff off for cleaning without damaging the racking cane is a bear.

I finally bought a ported Better Bottle with racking adapter and I'm a happier camper.

Back