siphon noob question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use an auto siphon, easy and easy. You can fill your tube full of water and put your sanitized thumb over one end and insert the opposite end in your beer. Lower the thumb end into you bottling bucket and let go this should get it started.

Have fun. I have used my mouth, but an auto siphon works better.

do not! i repeat do not start a siphon with your mouth! please go the extra mile and spend the $10 on an auto siphon. it will save you so much effort and keep you away from all that bacteria that grows in your mouth.

Since switching to better bottles as fermnetation vessels I use the carboy cap method. All you need is a sterile filter and air line tubing to connect it to the small opening in the carboy cap. You pass the racking cane through the larger hole in the cap. Attach the filter (pointing in the right direction) and blow. The pressurization of the better bottle forces the beer up through the racking cane. As a bonus the transfer is done with only sterile air entering the vessel.

GT

Take a shot of vodka, swirl it around in your mouth and get your lips wet with it.. .then suck the siphon going....

Or use an auto-siphon, as most people will suggest (and that is what I do to).

basically you need to pre-fill the racking hose with liquid to create the siphon.

its messy as one end has to go in the beer, the other is held shut and put into the destination vessel, then you release the end and it pulls the siphon through.

sanitiary water works well cuz it can mix in the beer and not really dilute or alter the flavor, nor infect it.

But, I use an auto-siphon.

Back