simple newbie question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
last week i thought i was not getting fermentation and everyone talked me in off the ledge

its been a week and i was going to bottle this morning and my specific gravity reading is only 1.028..........so i covered it back up and am going to give it another week

do i need to do anything else? also, my temp is around 66 -68 degrees is that ok or do i need to try to increasethe temp it to speed up fermintation

any thoughts

Any ale should be happy at those temps, any prior sg readings? If the sg is still dropping, albeit slowly, I'd just leave it, check in a few days, and when it's been the same sg for about three days, ask yourself if it's reasonably close to your target fg. If not you're probably stuck, and may need to repitch, aerate, etc.

I just got done reading your other thread. You never mentioned what kind of yeast you were using. Nottingham dry had a recall on their yeast.

Any ale should be happy at those temps, any prior sg readings? If the sg is still dropping, albeit slowly, I'd just leave it, check in a few days, and when it's been the same sg for about three days, ask yourself if it's reasonably close to your target fg. If not you're probably stuck, and may need to repitch, aerate, etc.

It's much too late to aerate, that's for sure. Aeration after you've reached the halfway point of your fermentation is a bad idea. It will produce some nasty oxidation issues that cannot be fixed.

Stir the yeast gently with a sanitized long spoon, which will wake them up and get them going again. Wait.

my original reading was 1.052 @70 degrees

not sure of the yeast type (saved everything but that package) i know it was a wyeast not sure which one

do i swirl the bucket or go back in with a spoon and mix it

what would everyone consider close to the right fg.......if i get it down to 1.020 is that close...the recipe calls for 1.010 -1.014

not sure of the yeast type (saved everything but that package) i know it was a wyeast not sure which one

I thought you used dry yeast? Wyeast doesn't make dry yeast as far as I know. I hope it wasn't yeast nutrient.

Back