Is this SG right/possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tidehouse

Reaction score
Is it possible that I got a 1.072 SG with this PM recipe:

3.3lbs Briess Gold LME
3lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs flaked barley
1 lb roasted barley

I did a partial mash and didnt even sparge I just drained the bag as much as possible but when I took my hydro reading it came out 1.072 @ about 70 degrees. Is that even possible for the recipe I used? Why am I getting such high readings? (this isnt the first time)

I put it into beer smith. It is possible if you boiled down to just under 4 gallons. What is your volume of wort?

For 5 gallons of wort, Beersmith says 1.054 @ 75% efficiency.

Did you add top-off water? And if so, how thoroughly did you stir it before taking a sample?

I did a 3 gallon boil, added the lme at the end then topped off to make 5 gallons and rolled the carboy on its side for a minute or so to aerate.

Sounds like your wort and water weren't totally mixed. It takes quite a bit to get them incorporated completely. I have my daughter stir vigorously for a couple minutes and then take my sample while she is still stirring. Just rolling the carboy on it's side won't do it.

Sounds like your wort and water weren't totally mixed. It takes quite a bit to get them incorporated completely. I have my daughter stir vigorously for a couple minutes and then take my sample while she is still stirring. Just rolling the carboy on it's side won't do it.

I agree, your not mixing enough. When i do PM kits i pour the wort back and fourth between two ale pales 5 or 6 times. Then aerate with an air matteres pump. Take a hydro before pitching

Back