Secondary Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbldd

Reaction score
Hey all, quick (probably stupid) question... Brewed a Chimay Blue Clone from the recipes in this forum (So excited, it is my favorite beer!) and had a question.

So my OG was 1.094 and after a week in primary, I racked to secondary with a gravity of 1.024. It was probably a bit high and may have been a bit quick with the transfer...but... it has been sitting in secondary now for 16 days. I orginally had some "random white spots" floating in the beer for 2-3 days which disappeared, and after giving a small quick swirl last night the "spots" are back today.

I am confident in my sanitization and not worried about any mold or anything. Just wondering if the "spots" are some sort of yeast cultures or if it is more likely oxygen bubbles. I am hoping that it is an indication of yeast activation/reactivation as it would be nice to get the FG lower than the 1.024 that I previously had!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Oh...last question...is it retarded to buy/drink/clean and bottle in Chimay bottles? I currently have 10.5 :mug: out of 24 bottles needed for my 5 gal batch! Your opinion...am I crazy to spend $300 in Chimay to bottle it in official Chimay trappist bottles!?!

Gotta make it an official 11/24 bottles and finish watching the Bulls game...thanks for any responses!

Hey all, quick (probably stupid) question... Brewed a Chimay Blue Clone from the recipes in this forum (So excited, it is my favorite beer!) and had a question.

So my OG was 1.094 and after a week in primary, I racked to secondary with a gravity of 1.024. It was probably a bit high and may have been a bit quick with the transfer...but... it has been sitting in secondary now for 16 days. I orginally had some "random white spots" floating in the beer for 2-3 days which disappeared, and after giving a small quick swirl last night the "spots" are back today.

I am confident in my sanitization and not worried about any mold or anything. Just wondering if the "spots" are some sort of yeast cultures or if it is more likely oxygen bubbles. I am hoping that it is an indication of yeast activation/reactivation as it would be nice to get the FG lower than the 1.024 that I previously had!

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Oh...last question...is it retarded to buy/drink/clean and bottle in Chimay bottles? I currently have 10.5 :mug: out of 24 bottles needed for my 5 gal batch! Your opinion...am I crazy to spend $300 in Chimay to bottle it in official Chimay trappist bottles!?!

Gotta make it an official 11/24 bottles and finish watching the Bulls game...thanks for any responses!

Why the hell did you swirl it?

I only swirl when doing fruit, but I see lots of people talk about creating movement in beers to try and get some of the yeast at the bottom back in suspension.

I see lots of people talk about creating movement in beers to try and get some of the yeast at the bottom back in suspension.

This is what I was thinking/hoping...would prefer to get an FG lower than the 1.024. Any chance that I accomplished that or did I just aerate it?!?

Ooh and you're crazy to get Chimay bottles. Unless you don't mind spending the $$$ you can get cheaper cases of beer with those bottles. Chimay at $120ish is quite a bit. I've build up a nice stock of belgian bullnose (as I call them) bottles and dark green/black champagne bottles. The only difference between Chimay bottles and others is that the others don't have the little chimay emblem screen printed.

Back