New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 10:45 PM   #1
MrVagabond
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Secondary Fermentation

I know that many people here don't always agree on the necessity of a secondary fermentation. However, I need to free up my primary to brew another batch and so, in this case, it's rather necessary. I'm brewing an American Red Ale with an O.G. of 1.045. At what point is it best to get it out of the primary and into secondary? Should I wait until it's hit it's F.G. or should I go a bit earlier and get it off the trub to finish fermenting?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2009, 11:31 PM   #2
JLem
naturally selected

Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Personally, I would wait until it hits FG or damn close. You don't want to prematurely stall your fermentation. At most, I'd rack it when it was 90% done.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Bioguy1975
Recipes 

... I hear a lot of folks here subscribe to the 1 2 3 method: one week in primary, two weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in the bottle. I'd like to give that a try, but now I'm more like 2 weeks in primary, beginning my second week in secondary...

5.0 gal Glass Secondary 3: Air, cleaned
On Deck: Fat Tire Clone

Bottled, waiting: Nada
Bottled, ready: Black Forest Stout, Vanilla Porter

Old 11-01-2009, 06:21 PM   #4
MrVagabond
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

That was pretty much the method I used for my first batch. However, reading more on the forums here, I've decided to try two different methods.

I'm racking a batch to a secondary vessel today following the idea that you should move your beer to secondary with about 2/3 to 3/4 fermentation complete. This way there is still enough yeast to bring you to your F.G.

The other thought is to just leave the beer on the yeast cake in the primary for 2-3 weeks and then bottle or keg. My next batch I'm starting up later today will just sit in the primary for 3 weeks.

I'm curious to see the differences in how clear the beer is and if any "off" flavors are produced. I should be doing this with the same beer, but there's plenty of time for more experimentation down the road.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:01 AM   #5
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've had the best luck waiting until FG has been reached before racking to secondary. For the most part I give it 10-14 days in primary to finish, check the gravity and then rack to secondary for another 2 weeks.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 11-02-2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

First off, it's not secondary fermentation...it's secondary.....The word fermentation is a misnomer.....

Secondly read this and make up your own mind...it covers all sides of the argument.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/multiple-questions-about-secondary-fermentation-140978/#post1601829

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-02-2009, 12:51 AM   #7
griffondg
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have been in your shoes wanting to clear up a primary in order to free it up for another brew. I'd for sure wait for it to hit FG then rack it to secondary for 2-3 weeks.

Eric

Old 11-02-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
SporkD2
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am actually going to agree for your secondary for ONE reason only, to free up your primary.

But dont go moving that beer until its done fermenting COMPLETELY. Secondary is for aging and conditioning NOT for fermenting.

None :(

Quick Reply