Secondary exposed to air

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyN

Reaction score
So I took the lid off my bucket to check the gravity of my beer in secondary, but I forgot to snap it back on, and just let it rest on top for ~5 days by accident. I'm not too worried about contamination, just about oxygen exposure. Would this be enough exposure to air to cause off flavors? Thanks.

So I took the lid off my bucket to check the gravity of my beer in secondary, but I forgot to snap it back on, and just let it rest on top for ~5 days by accident. I'm not too worried about contamination, just about oxygen exposure. Would this be enough exposure to air to cause off flavors? Thanks.

Not really- but using a bucket as a secondary is a problem even without opening the bucket. The headspace is too wide and too much once fermentation slows down.

I'd suggest either skipping "secondary" (more properly a clearing vessel or a "bright tank") or using a carboy with appropriate headspace.

I haven't been on this forum long, but already realized that Yooper is always right on with this stuff. I'll just add that for centuries brewers have fermented in open vessels with no lid at all. Of course, you're beyond primary fermentation, but the point is that a loose fitting lid on your bucket for 5 days probably won't do much damage.

The only time I've ever had "off" flavors was when I did my secondary in a bucket. I figured later there was a lot of O2 in the head space.

NRS

Back