Second batch boiling away!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Bottled my first batch this afternoon....second batch ( centennial blond) boiling away right now.

Congrats to the new pappa. I put on my gozillianth batch yesterday. Stopped counting a long time ago. However this last batch was more fun than my counting days because now i have a pipeline to keep me occupied while it works, and i dont worry about ruining it anymore. I've only seen 1 real infection and it actually made a rally cool sour wit.

Try not to dry hop with your blackberry.

lol...yeah thats JUST what I need to do!!!......................... OK the predicted OG was between 1.039 and 1.044 ( the first was an all grain and the second was the extract version) I hit 1.040..................cooled it too far too fast ( went from boiling to 55 degrees in like 3 minutes. Had to heat some of my water up to get to 70 degrees.........) rehydrated the yeast for a while got a good foam and pitched ....airlock is in and everything is cleaned up.

lol...yeah thats JUST what I need to do!!!......................... OK the predicted OG was between 1.039 and 1.044 ( the first was an all grain and the second was the extract version) I hit 1.040..................cooled it too far too fast ( went from boiling to 55 degrees in like 3 minutes. Had to heat some of my water up to get to 70 degrees.........) rehydrated the yeast for a while got a good foam and pitched ....airlock is in and everything is cleaned up.

How did you drop the temp that fast?

thats what Im wondering.... I wish I could cool that fast.

unless you have nearly frozen water (4 gallons) and only 1 gallon post boil....

If this is screwed up, let me down easy please...... I start with distilled water and get 6-7 gallons....I freeze a couple of gallons in quart freezer bags.....I do my boil with about 2.5 gallons or there abouts.....at 0 minutes I stick my pot down in a sink full of cold water...I stir the crap out of it and then drain and refill the water in the sink( I have stainless steel pots with big thick heavy conductive bottoms so they draw the cold quick from the water).....THEN I put the ice from the freezer bags ( minus the bags of course) in my primary and dump the wort over it. I check temp and if it is close or even too low I remove the ice and start topping up with distilled water or heated distilled water until I get the temp exact......I have the yeast hydrating in a bowl and pour it over top then wait a few minutes and stir it in.

BTW I have pretty good airlock activity this morning...haven't checked it for kraussen yet.

I love the centennial blonde. inexpensive to brew and delicious to drink.

I brewed four batches of this in a row as I was dialing in my AG process.

Latest posts

Back