Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > scorched the bottom of pot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 10:38 AM   #1
philhead1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default scorched the bottom of pot

I've made 2 batches now and both times I end up with scorched rings in the bottom of my pot where teh burner rings are. I tried keeping heat as low as possible to keep from burning. I''m using a 5 gallon pot on an 8" burner, takes quite a while to bring to a boil, thinking about getting a turkey fryer soon. anyone have a tip on keeping from scorching my sugars??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Are you stirring with a spoon long enough to get to the bottom?

Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
sigmund
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Sounds like you're not stirring enough. You might try doing late additions on your extracts so you're not adding as much all at once.

Burkey Street Brewery

Old 08-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #4
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Make sure you take the pot off the burner when you add extract anything else.

Also I found that you do not need to have the stove on HIGH to boil. Once I get a good boil I start to lower the settings a tad but still have a good boil.

and I stir a lot with a rubber spatula.

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I've started doing the following to prevent scorching for my extract brewing:

1) To steep my grains, I heat the water to 170, and turn it off the flame. Place the grains in the bag for 20-30 min. It's usually cooled to about 155 after 25-30 min. (I have not done this in the winter yet, only spring/summer). When the grains are in the pot, I do not have the burners lit.

2) When adding my extract, I again turn off the flame completely. Add extract, stir well, re-light the burner when it's thoroughly mixed in.

I haven't had any scorching since I started doing it this way.

Old 08-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
philhead1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

yes my spatula is lnong enough maybe I do need to stir more, I'll also try adding a little at a time when I get to the extract. I'm on a electric stove right now and never turn it to high usually med high, takes a little long but don't want to coils to glow, know I will burn it good then.

Do I have to boil for 60 min? some kits only require 20, whats the difference?

Old 08-30-2008, 02:18 PM   #7
gimmebeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The most important tip I've read here is to take your pot off the heat before adding extract. After it's blended in, just a modest amount of stirring should prevent scorching.

The length of the boil has to do with the hop additions. If you have a hopped extract, the kit will call for 20 minutes, and that'll be fine. If you are adding your bittering hops in the boil, then you need to boil an hour. It takes that long to extract the hop resins for bittering.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
philhead1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I do remove my pot from the burner when adding my extracts, maybe I need to stir it up a little longer bofore putting it back on the burner.

will a 90 minute boil make it more bitter?

Old 08-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #9
schneemann
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhead1 View Post
I do remove my pot from the burner when adding my extracts, maybe I need to stir it up a little longer bofore putting it back on the burner.
I let the spoon do the talking as to when I'm ready to turn the heat back on. My spoon reaches the bottom of the pot, so I make sure that I scrape the bottom of the pot with the spoon. If I can pull the spoon out and there's no extract on it, then I'm ready to turn the heat back on (I usually keep stirring a good 30 seconds more because I'm anal, but that's probably not necessary)
Drinkin - Bombsight Oatmeal Stout, 57 Minute IPA

Zazzle Crap | BombSight Brewery at CafePress | Brewstand Build | Schmidling MaltMill Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBHoss View Post
I, Hoss, hereby profess that Master shneemann holds all the answers and is right, even when wrong, and that I humble myself before his vastly superior intellect. :mug:

Old 08-31-2008, 02:50 PM   #10
Kimsta

Recipes 

If you've got it, a massive whisk works well (I use a restaurant grade balloon whisk).

Gotta be quick if the heat is on. I had a few burn spots yesterday, but nothing too big.

Quick Reply