Removing ALL yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigjuicy

Reaction score
I was wondering if there was any thing i could possibly do to remove all yeast besides filtering.

Cold crashing for a long time will eliminate alot of the yeast. But, filtering is probably your only reasonable answer to trying to get rid of most (if not all) of the yeast.

Do you have access to a centrifuge?

Is the goal all gone or all inactive? K-meta and pasteurization are means of achieving the second.

Simple time + cold-crashing will eliminate all the visible yeast and (if you're crashing near 32F) closer to all of it than you might expect.

Slightly off topic but I did not want to create yet another cold crashing thread but I could not find my answer in the others thread.

If you cold crash and most of the yeast of fall out of suspension how will this effect the bottling/carbing of the beer? I want to cold crash my next beer but am worried there won't be enough yeast left to help carb up my bottles. Also from reading through the forums I've seen that temperature plays a big part in the taste of the beer and temp fluctuations should be avoided, isn't cold crashing just one big temp change?

Temperature fluctuations during fermentation are usually a no no. However, you cold crash after fermentation is done. I have cold crashed and then bottled with the only drawback being a week or two longer in waiting for proper carbonation. So, the yeasties are still there....just not as many.

MikeM2012 said:
Slightly off topic but I did not want to create yet another cold crashing thread but I could not find my answer in the others thread.

If you cold crash and most of the yeast of fall out of suspension how will this effect the bottling/carbing of the beer? I want to cold crash my next beer but am worried there won't be enough yeast left to help carb up my bottles. Also from reading through the forums I've seen that temperature plays a big part in the taste of the beer and temp fluctuations should be avoided, isn't cold crashing just one big temp change?

I cold crashed my last batch at 34 degrees for 2 days. I tried a bottle after 12 days and it was fully carbed. I was very surprised

So this forum has the best search feature i have ever seen on any forum...shame that few people use it

Bigjuicy said:
So this forum has the best search feature i have ever seen on any forum...shame that few people use it

I actually find the search feature to be quite frustrating

Back