Refrigerator/Chiller for Lagering...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
I'm in the process of installing tongue and groove paneling and adding cabinets in a closet in my basement where I store my brew and do my fermenting. In doing so, I'd like to incorporate a small refrigerator or wine chiller that I could remove the shelves from for lagering, which I'd like to give a whirl with my next batch. Does anybody have any pictures of how they do their lagering, or have modified refrigerators, etc., to make them work?

A refrigerator or a freezer works great with a Ranco digital controller. The refrigerator or freezer is set to full cold and the controller holds the temperature within 1 degree of the set temperature.

You can also use the guts of a refrigerator on your own cabinet (cool room).
Some have used an air conditioner on a small insulated room using the Ranco to control it.

If you have the room, I'd recommend a chest freezer over a small refrigerator. It will give you a little more flexibility and room to ferment up to 10 gallons. When hooked up to a Ranco temperature control unit, you can ferment cold or lager easily.

I got a Magic Chef 7.2 cubic foot chest freezer at Home Depot for under $200. I use plastic buckets, and I can fit two of them pretty easily. It should fit 2 carboys too.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/magic-chef-chest-freezer-77661/#post823988

try craigslist in your area to find a used one. i got a stand up chest freezer that can hold 4 6.5gal carboys for $50bucks!

Back