Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Really annoyed... First batch has had 2 gushers and a bad finish

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 01:54 AM   #1
RobbieRedBeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Really annoyed... First batch has had 2 gushers and a bad finish

WTF!?!?! Did I get an infection? I've drank maybe a 12 pack so far and have already had 2 gushers. I also posted another thread this past weekend stating how the finish has a really bitter mineral taste. I was so careful about being sanitary I really don't know what could have went wrong. IS that even what the problem is you think? If it is, the only time I could think something might have gone bad is when I made my starter perhaps...? I did the intermittent shaking method where I shook it up every couple hours. Did that oxidize it? I started my second batch on Saturday and don't want this one to come out crappy. I am so annoyed and really want to know where I went wrong....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brewing is a learning process. It is hard to say if sanitation is your problem without knowing your whole recipe and process, but other than sanitation, another area that can cause gushers is not completely stirring in all your priming sugar. This can cause some bottles to have more sugar than others and carbonate up much more.

If your carbonation was really high in those bottles be careful of bottle bombs. Bottles can explode if the pressure gets to high in them.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 06-30-2010, 02:03 AM   #3
BeerJorge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You had 2 beers out of 12 come out bad?

Gusher infections are a sanitation or wild yeast problem... If you said you were careful about sanitation, then wild yeast would be my guess.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:05 AM   #4
BeerJorge
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
Brewing is a learning process. It is hard to say if sanitation is your problem without knowing your whole recipe and process, but other than sanitation, another area that can cause gushers is not completely stirring in all your priming sugar. This can cause some bottles to have more sugar than others and carbonate up much more.

If your carbonation was really high in those bottles be careful of bottle bombs. Bottles can explode if the pressure gets to high in them.
+1. I almost forgot... you may not have an infection at all, maybe just didn't prime evenly and that's why you are seeing some beers more carbed up than others...

Old 06-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #5
RobbieRedBeard
Recipes 

2 out of 12 so far, but there is also a off flavor in the finish that is really bothering me. Are you saying that those 2 beers were affected by wild yeast and the whole batch is not infected? Keep in mind this was my first batch ever so I am still figuring everything out as best as I can.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I swirled my yeast starter before getting my stir plate, never shook, don't see that as a problem IMO. You have to keep sanitized foil over top, the yeast needs to grab oxygen but you don't want any wild yeast falling in.

2 gushers meaning bottles were close to exploding, or they oozed out after opening?

What type of brew did you do on the first one? Please be specific on ingredients.

Did you boil in an Aluminum pot?

All these questions will help the fine Home Brewers here (me not being one, I do try though).

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 06-30-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Can you explain your brewing and sanitation processes?

What is your water source?

Did/do you see a ring in the neck of any of the bottles?

How warm did you condition the bottles?

Old 06-30-2010, 02:11 AM   #8
RobbieRedBeard
Recipes 

I have been doing everything verbatim according to Palmer. My priming sugar was laid at the bottom of my bottling bucket(gently, without oxidizing it) and I siphoned it in gently(no oxidizing) and let it naturally mix itself up. The gushers are not exactly what I am so annoyed about. Someone this weekend told me the gushers were probably caused by infection. Say they weren't, then why is this bitter mineral after taste in the finish?

I know it is hard to help with out knowing my process, but like I said before, everything I did was done by the book as best as I could. I kept the fermenting temps down for a week or so but then let them stay at room temp(maybe around 74ish) for the rest of the time. I am thinking maybe the fermentation was not done when I stopped cooling it perhaps....?

Old 06-30-2010, 02:12 AM   #9
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieRedBeard View Post
2 out of 12 so far, but there is also a off flavor in the finish that is really bothering me. Are you saying that those 2 beers were affected by wild yeast and the whole batch is not infected? Keep in mind this was my first batch ever so I am still figuring everything out as best as I can.
If only the two tasted bad, the 2 bottles might not have been clean.

If all bottles tasted bad then using an aluminum pot or anything from starter to old yeast might be the problem. They could become bottle bombs!

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 AM   #10
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you only had two gushers, and they were the only ones that had the off flavor, than that would point to sanitation of the bottles themselves. Again I am guessing without complete info on the process. It can be tricky properly cleaning re-used bottles. They quickly grow things in them if the old beer is allowed to sit in them after consumption.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Quick Reply