Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Re-boil unfermented wort to prevent infection?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #1
Cpsurfer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Re-boil unfermented wort to prevent infection?

Hey all,

I brewed my second ever AG batch on Sunday night, an IPA (OG 1.068) and everything went great right up until it was time to pitch the yeast.

Earlier in the day I had activated the Wyeast slap pack but after about 6 hours it had only swelled a little bit. I'd used Wyeast packs for my 3 previous batches with fantastic results and each time they swelled up huge in a matter of hours, this time not so much. Being a complete newb I didn't bother to make a starter but just threw it in the fermenter with the wort anyway.

Tonight it will have been 48 hours since I pitched and there has been no sign of airlock bubbles. I will give it one more day and then take a gravity reading, but my question is this: What should I do if after 72 hours there are no visible signs of fermentation?

1)Should I just re-pitch with new yeast?

2) Can I/should I re-boil the unfermented wort to kill off any nasties that may have taken root in the absence of viable yeast? Would this even make a difference or if infection has already begun is it too late to reverse the off flavors?

Thanks

Last edited by Cpsurfer; 02-24-2009 at 06:17 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
mkade
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsurfer View Post
Hey all,

I brewed my second ever AG batch on Sunday night, an IPA (OG 1.068) and everything went great right up until it was time to pitch the yeast.

Earlier in the day I had activated the Wyeast slap pack but after about 6 hours it had only swelled a little bit. I'd used Wyeast packs for my 3 previous batches with fantastic results and each time they swelled up huge in a matter of hours, this time not so much. Being a complete newb I didn't bother to make a starter but just threw it in the fermenter with the wort anyway.

Tonight it will have been 48 hours since I pitched and there has been no sign of airlock bubbles. I will give it one more day and then take a gravity reading, but my question is this: What should I do if after 72 hours there are no visible signs of fermentation?

2) Can I/should I re-boil the unfermented wort to kill off any nasties that may have taken root in the absence of viable yeast? Would this even make a difference or if infection has already begun is it too late to reverse the off flavors?

Thanks
What I definitely wouldn't do is reboil your wort. If you have no activity, throw in some more yeast and be patient.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4365 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 850

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpsurfer View Post
Hey all,

Thanks
First of all, don't reboil! If you were sanitary, then the wort will be fine for a long time. If you reboil, all of your late hops additions become bittering hops, increasing the bitterness and losing the hops flavor and aroma.

Next, wait the full 72 hours, since you didn't make a starter. After 72 hours, check the SG. If it's exactly the same, you can repitch some yeast. I'd recommend a dry yeast like Nottingham, since you don't have a starter made.

I think you'll see some fermentation, though, so try to just wait it out! It should be absolutely fine.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Look down at my sigline....

Then read this...http://blogs.homebrewtalk.com/Revvy/Think_evaluation_before_action/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #5
Cpsurfer
Recipes 

Thanks everybody! I'll take a gravity reading tomorrow, and if nothing is going on I'll re-pitch.

Quick Reply