Quick Question about terms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a pale ale fermented with lager yeast.

And if it's also fermented at ale temperatures, it's a very strange tasting pale ale fermented with lager yeast at ale temperatures.

steam beer, assuming fermented at ale fermentation temps.

While Steam beers or California Common beers use this technique (lager yeast, ale temps) that's not to say that any old Pale Ale fermented with lager yeast qualifies. For a homebrewer to really meet that qualification, very specific yeast strains would be needed (WLP810, for example). Most lager yeasts will not take kindly to ale temperatures. There's also recipe considerations to be made; grain bill and hop schedule are both important to get anywhere near style guidelines.

Okay.

Number one, I'm not going to be showing this to anyone, except for my closest buddies... I'll post the recipe when I get more information (like a FG), but I finally have something that's hoppy enough for my taste buds.

Number 2, I'll be damned if I know which yeast Coopers put in their Mexican Lager.

Back