Quick 'n easy late extract addition question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunocallme

Reaction score
I've got a question regarding late extract additions. I'm sure either way is fine (yeah yeah, RDWHAHB :) ), but is the proper technique to keep the timer running after a late addition even though the wort stops boiling? I've done a couple of recipes that call for late additions and it usually takes a good 10-15 minutes to get the wort boiling again once the extract is added. I've looked around some and haven't been able to determine whether I should pause my timer until the wort comes to a boil again, or if I'm supposed to plow through it and use the time it takes the wort to get going again as part of the boil time.

I think there is some utilization of the hops at near boiling temperatures, so I don't imagine it matters a whole lot either way.

I've added the extract at flame out and liked that. That is still plenty hot enough to pasteurize the extract, but it doesn't matter that it stops the boil since the boil is over anyway.

There's a thread around here somewhere with some hard data (the article was called "Isomerization and Degredation Kinetics of Hop (Humulus lupulus) Acids in a Model Wort-Boiling System") but you get roughly half the isomerization for every 10 degrees Celsius drop in temperature. If you are losing just a degree or two, I wouldn't worry; if it is a lot of temp, consider extending the boil slightly.

I'm surprised you're having so much trouble getting back up to a boil after adding the late extract, is this a partial boil? What's the volume?

I am brewing some spec. bitter today (full boil- 6 gall) and I decided to add half of extract at the end, but the thing is that I"ll use my IC (for 1st time) and I want to sanitize it for 15 min in boiling water.

Question is how to add extract if IC is in brew kettle, if I put it out then it will not be sanitized any more.. and it will be tough to stir properly with chiller in pot.. I"m confused about this one.

I add the LME at the end,stir in well,cover & steep for 15mins or so while sanitizing the fermenter,etc. But I use 3lb bags of plain DME in a 20-25 min boil to do hop additions. The cooper's cans of pre-hopped LME I use as a base can't be boiled without loosing hop profile,darkening,& the like. But even if it weren't pre-hopped,I'd add it at the end to keep it light colored as possible. But I add it at flame out,so it's still plenty hot to pasteurize it.

I am brewing some spec. bitter today (full boil- 6 gall) and I decided to add half of extract at the end, but the thing is that I"ll use my IC (for 1st time) and I want to sanitize it for 15 min in boiling water.

Question is how to add extract if IC is in brew kettle, if I put it out then it will not be sanitized any more.. and it will be tough to stir properly with chiller in pot.. I"m confused about this one.

Add enough water to your DME to where you can pour it into your wort as a liquid form. This way there will be no clumping to your immersion chiller.

Great idea!
I"ll add boiled water from kettle- before 1st hoping.

Thanks!

Back