A quick bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bacchusmj

Reaction score
bottled two batches but the last seemed to have a bit of a soapy taste. I think it has to do with my bottling process. This time Im gonna go with star san.

This go round my procedure is going to be to 1) blast out the bottles 2) dip in star san just before bottling (about 10 done at a time as to stay wet) 3) add beer to drained/wet bottles 4) cap with caps dipped in star san.

how does that look for a process? I want to get the bottles sanitized but I want to avoid any off flavors creeping into the process.

Yep. I clean the bottles really well long before bottling then when it comes to be bottling day I just dip them in star san and put them on the dishwasher rack 10 or so at a time. Fill those 10 and sit em up on the counter and repeat. Then I cap all of them at the very end.

I use a vinator. Fill one bottle while pumping Star San into the next with the vinator - then leave the bottle on the vinator stem to drain while finishing filling. By the time the filling is done, the other bottle has had over 30 seconds of contact time with Star San and is ready to be filled. This way, the sanitizing takes no extra time.

Was the soapy taste there before bottling?

I ran into what sounds like a similar problem, however the off flavor was already present in the beer before bottling - just glad that I tasted it before bottling otherwise I might have been led to believe it was my bottling that caused it.

The link I just posted talks about soapt flavors. Although I now think it's out dated info,since it claims they come from leaving it in primary too long past FG. We proved that wrong last year. I'll look some more. The ones I did find claim it's a break down of fatty acids in the trub from sitting on primary too long. Once again,not right by our own findings on here.

Back