Questionable growth on secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theonepower

Reaction score
First time brewer. Very conscious of sanitation. Brewing Caribou Slobber from northernbrewer.com. I am wondering if what is going on is normal. Slight bubbling at the top and some sort of brownish sediment or growth seen on the side of the carboy. I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance.. And explanation of what I'm seeing. Was 2 weeks in primary and going on 24 days in secondary. Thanks

View attachment 1417042813367.jpg

View attachment 1417042872915.jpg

With only a 2 week primary, you probably still had quite a bit of yeast in suspension.

Yeast will actually flocculate and settle on those carboy ribs. I don't see anything that would make me suspicious.
The stuff on top looks like yeast rafts and maybe a little off-gassing. But nothing to worry about.

Out of curiosity, what yeast were you using?

This looks exactly like what I've had happen when fermenting in glass carboys, so unless someone can tell you differently, I'm gonna say it's normal fermentation and just yeast. Hopefully someone else will come and either confirm my assessment, or blow it out of the water.

Latest posts

Back